Chapter 4 - A Friend

I stepped outside of the classroom. I wanted to have some time alone. All the commotion going on in the classroom is making me uneasy. I have to relieve stress. All these things, copying homework, reviewing for upcoming tests, reading must-be-finished-by-the-end-of-the-week books, project deadlines, are tiring me out. I feel pressured to have to do all of these. The anxiety inside me is building up and I might see myself doing things in a hurry. Though I can do all of these in an instant, I still have to look at how things would have to turn out and what are they for. Sometimes, I just can't understand myself.

I look at the clock sitting on top of the blackboard. I still have an hour to catch up on things. I decided to go to the canteen. I wonder where and when the party of Sharixa will start. I'll look for her later on, I guess. I'm in no hurry.

"Enprix!" shouted a distant voice.

I looked at the direction where the voice is coming from.

It's Senyxe, a friend of mine too.

"Let's go to the canteen together." And she smiled at me, enough to brighten up my day a little.

Senyxe is also an idol of the school. She has relations inside the school that's why she has a little boost in her reputation and fame. She also happens to be really cute, which is totally the reason why she is an idol.

Side by side, we went down the stairs. 3rd Year students and lower are greeting us with bows and waves. With our current stance, we look like as if we are together. People may get it wrong but she's not my girlfriend. We are just really really close to each other.

I had my hands in my pockets, looking like a delinquent. With a glare to people who look at me, I feel like an actor who's really to grab guns and shoot them all out. Walking with this cute girl, I am speechless. I don't know what to do aside from do what I came down for. Eat.

We finally arrived at the canteen. Bustling crowds, leftover food on tables, laughs and shouts. In the midst of warring tribes who desperately try to get food from the cafeteria, I saw my favorite stand. Then I suddenly remembered that I had someone with me.

"So, what do you want to eat for today? Hmm?" I asked.

"I go to the spaghetti stand and buy my food. You go buy yourself what you want too. I'll wait for you outside. See Ya!" Then she smiled and waved at me.

I walked arrogantly to the burger stand. The stand that doesn't have much customer but the food really tastes great.

"One Footlong with cheese, please." I requested

"Ok. Wait for a minute. We're just cooking your food." Said the guy behind the stall

And I felt the rushing atmosphere here in the canteen and the liveliness of the people here who are racing to stalls and feeding themselves. The smell of various foods mixing together, creating the so-called canteen smell that students love. But my day just keeps on going and going with any meaning at all. I just can't handle such a mediocre life. I want change. I want something to happen. But My schedule's too tight to fit something like that. I want to be free. I want to be me.

"Here you go, and I'll take your payment." He handed me the footlong and received my payment with his other hand.

"Thank you, sir. Please come again!"

And I walked away. I munched on my food and ate it with delight. I wish everything tasted this good. I got out of the canteen and stood still. I ate my food for a while and tried to pick out Senyxe from the crowd. I looked at my left and saw a crowd but no Senyxe. I looked the other way and I saw her talking with some boys.

But furthermore, a group of delinquents were walking towards her. I strode as fast as I could to reach her. Then the boys were getting closer. I started to jog while still eating my footlong. I really like eating this thing. Then the group pushed the boys talking to her unto the ground. And some of them kicked the boys.

Then a mean-looking guy looked at her, from top to bottom, looking at her body. This group of people is famous for their rampant rule over the lower years and having harems at their place. This isn't possible. How stupid could I be..

I ran. I just ran. I feel something bad might happen so I ran. I reached them and glided on the tiles.

"What's happening here!" I wheezed, supporting my body with my hands on my knees and breathing down heavily.

"And who are you?" Said the mean-looking guy, glaring down at me.

"I'm her friend. Who are you?" I replied, annoyed again. Trying to talk them away.

"Our names are none of your business!" He bellowed. Then he pushed me away.

I have to save this girl. I have to become someone else. Someone better. Someone who can stand up for those who are weak. I want to be a hero.

With nothing else in mind, I had no more bright ideas.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the group. And made a run for it.