Chapter 42

As expected of Erit Ipsarum Major. It's not just a name for show, Zeref thought. 

The moment he had made contact with the being, he could feel the countless souls that had been devoured. It was cold and dark. Hardly anything was visible in the cumulated darkness of souls. As he was a dark mage, he could somewhat protect himself against the monstrosity. However, even he had a limit. Erit Ipsarum Major's desire to consume and devour was taking a toll on him. 

Lucy...where are you? Zeref thought anxiously as he began searching through the darkness. 

Meanwhile~

Where is this place? Lucy thought as she slowly opened her eyes to her surroundings. Ah...it's so dark here...

She tried moving her arms but to no effort. It's so cold...why am I here? she continued to think. I don't even know anymore...maybe I'll go to sleep...

She was tired of everything. Erit Ipsarum Major was consuming everything about her including her memories. Her memories were slowly fading away as she began to close her eyes. But something was tugging on her. A piece of her was unwilling to give in to it. What was she forgetting? What was it that kept her awake? Ten thousand years of fighting...she didn't want to continue it anymore. 

It's better just to forget it all, she thought as she finally came to a conclusion. It's better to just fade away in this cold damp place.

However, before she could fully close her eyes, she heard someone.

Lucy, it cried.

Lucy opened her eyes slightly, wondering who it was that was calling her. 

His voice...it sounds so sad...she thought. Who is it that's calling me?

Lucy, it said again. Where are you?

I'm here...she thought unconsciously. Unbeknownst to her, tears started welling up in her eyes, threatening to fall. 

Suddenly, she could see someone approaching her. He was shrouded in black and had a white shawl. Despite how he was covered in all black amidst the darkness, he looked so bright. All of a sudden, it hit her. 

"Zeref..." she tried to make out. 

Seeing her, Zeref widened his eyes as he began to make his way to her quickly. She was enveloped in a golden light while she floated in the darkness. He could feel her magic slowly fading away by the second, bringing about a worrisome and painful look on his face.

Why do you look so sad? Lucy thought.

Because you're not here beside me, Zeref replied. Lucy, we promised each other to always be by each other's side. Did you forget?

I...don't know anymore...the only thing I'm sure of is that I want to be with you, Lucy said as tears welled up in her eyes. 

The same with me, Lucy, Zeref said, a smile forming on his face as his eyes filled with warmth and longing. 

Zeref...I love you...

Lucy... I really love you...You're my one and only empress, divine or not. The only person who can make the great dark mage have this sort of expression...

Lucy smiled her usual bright smile in response. Zeref reached out towards her and through much effort, Lucy lifted hers and their fingers touched. Intwining their fingers in each other's, Zeref pulled Lucy towards him. Both let out a sorrowful smile as they could feel each other slowly being devoured. Both were shrouded in a golden light as they slowly leaned in and kissed each other. Lucy looked at Zeref and Zeref looked at her, each having a grieving look on their faces as they closed their eyes. The tears that spilled from Lucy and Zeref's eye came together and soon, they faded away, leaving not a trace behind.