Chapter 35

With the two chatting happily all day long, they had completely lost track of time and soon, the sun was beginning to set as the moon and stars rose, illuminating the darkness covering the sky. However, despite the fact that the street lamps were now on and not many people were walking outside, Lucy and Zeref continued to remain oblivious of the passing time. That was until the waitress came walking up to them. 

"Lucy-sama, Zeref-sama, I'm sorry to disturb you two but the shop will be closing soon," the waitress said with a nervous laugh. 

"Huh?" they both said at the same time before they glanced outside. 

"It's already this dark out?" Lucy said, bewildered.

"I guess we talked too much," Zeref said. "We totally lost track of time." 

"We'll get going right away," Lucy said standing up as she grabbed her coat. "Thanks for the meal, by the way. We really liked this cafe." 

"As long as you enjoyed it, nothing would mean more to us!" the waitress replied happily. 

Lucy and Zeref smiled at her before walking out of the cafe, hand in hand, through the streets. The street lamps were lighted and almost all of the shops were now closed. The only thing that guided Zeref to the place that he wanted to show Lucy was the light of the moon and stars shining down upon them. 

"Zeref, where are we going?" Lucy asked, curious. "Shouldn't we be on our way back to town?"

Zeref turned around to smile at her before continuing on his way, holding Lucy by the hand. Lucy tilted her head, perplexed, but decided to go along with him. After minutes of walking, Zeref finally stopped. The wind blew past them silently, rustling the trees and bushes, as it carried the smell of fresh earth along with it. 

"This is the place," Zeref said under his breath. 

Lucy walked forward a bit, not knowing what he was showing her. But as she walked up, she gazed upon a scenery so majestic that it took her breath away. They were standing atop a hill with a long cherry blossom tree situated on top of it. From the top, she could make out the tiny shops and inns that formed Fiore. The moon was full and bright, spreading its light on all those beneath it. 

"It's beautiful..." Lucy murmured, her eyes not glancing away from it for even a single minute. She was mesmerized the moment she laid her eyes upon it. 

"Do you remember this place?" Zeref said, walking up to Lucy. 

Lucy turned around, her eyes wide. "Don't tell me...is it really that place?" 

Zeref nodded, confirming Lucy's belief. "It's the place where we first met. The place where we vowed to always stay by one another's side, no matter how many years pass."

Lucy nodded, tears forming at the corner of her eyes. 

"How could I not remember? This cherry blossom tree, we planted it together...my memory of that day is more vivid than any memory that I possess. I remember the day that I met you, Zeref," Lucy said, a smile on her face as she walked up to the tree, its petals scattering across the hill. 

"That time, we were only children. Children with a unique existence. I think it was that moment when I first fell in love with you," Zeref chuckled, his cheeks turning slightly rosy.

Lucy laughed. "I still remember that lonesome frown that you used to carry around. To think that you've changed so much...I still can't believe it, honestly." 

"You changed me," Zeref said, his eyes unwavering, his words full of honesty and gratefulness. "You saved me from the darkness I created." 

Lucy smiled and shook her head. "No, Zeref," she said. "It was you that changed me."