Chapter 23

Lucy woke up to the chirping sounds of the canaries outside as the sunlight came seeping in through the openings of the curtains. She squirmed in her bed a little before rising, only to feel something resisting her from getting up. She opened and batted her eyes to see who it was. As she did, she came face to face with Zeref's sleeping face. Her eyes now wide with shock, she tried to utter something but failed.

"Zeref...move your arm," Lucy whispered to him, trying to budge his arm. 

Zeref moved a little but continued to sleep soundly. 

"Zeref, I need to get up..." Lucy said again. 

This time, instead of moving a little, he managed to grab hold of Lucy's shoulder and pull her back down on the bed. Lucy eyes went wide once again as Zeref's lips grazed her cheek and settled down there. She looked at the ceiling and then at Zeref and then at the ceiling again. Lucy sighed and gave up. She turned around slightly in a comfortable position. Looking at his face, Lucy realized how cute Zeref was.

"I love you..." she murmured. 

Zeref moved slightly and his eyes batted open, only to come eye to eye with Lucy. The two of them looked at one another, obviously surprised in their own way, not moving the slightest. The two continued to stare at one another in silence before a deep red blush started rising on their faces.

"...sorry," Zeref mumbled, looking away. 

"...it's fine," Lucy replied softly. She glanced at him before looking away again. "You...didn't hear that right?" 

Zeref looked at her, a smile tugging at his lips. "I love you, too. Does that answer your question?"

Lucy blushed and fumed, her ears had turned red and steam was rising from the top of her head. "I-I'll be going to take a shower. Meet you downstairs!" 

Lucy hurriedly ran off to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. Zeref watched in amusement at the reaction of Lucy as he chuckled to himself. So cute, he thought before getting dressed and going to Nagi's room to wake Nagi, Wendy, Happy, Carla, and Lily up. 

It's been a full two years and during that period of time, Lucy had been getting countless missions from the Magic Council, in which most of them were solo. Her connections to the various countries surrounding Fiore had expanded and by now, she was known as an unofficial diplomat of Fiore. Not to mention, the money that was rewarded to her could already suffice for a lifetime of ten people. Getting back to the point, it was finally that time of the year again. The Grand Magic Games was finally here!

"Mama, hurry up so we can go to the guild!" Nagi exclaimed as Lucy put on her gray hooded sweater. 

"Don't worry, Nagi, we have time," Lucy replied.

"Let's get there early today! They're going to be announcing the participants for this year's Games!" 

Zeref laughed to himself, stroking Nagi's head. "Do you think you'll get in?" 

Nagi thought about it. "Nope but I'm sure Mama will!" 

Lucy almost spit out her coffee. "Do you have that much confidence in me?" 

"Of course, Lucy-san!" Wendy exclaimed as she, too, came down the stairs with Carla between her arms and chest. "You're strong so you'll definitely get chosen! Everyone in Fiore knows about you!" 

Lucy smiled. "Thanks Wendy. I'm sure you'll be one of the participants." 

"I just hope I do although I'm probably not going to," Wendy replied nervously. 

"You definitely will be one of them!" Lucy, Nagi, and Carla said at the same time, their eyes shining with confidence. 

Wendy smiled. "Thanks, Lucy-san! Nagi-san!"