The Locker Room: Chapter Twenty-Eight

A/N:

SURPRISE update. I bet you weren't expecting this at all. And it's not an April Fools. Damn, that's like a holiday that nobody really celebrates anymore. Anyways, I should be updating, but I couldn't help myself. And I can't wait until I write the next chapter. I've also got plans in the future.

Comment, vote, and enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Eight

            My eyes opened, unexpectedly. I looked outside the window in the living room, and I blinked a few times. The sky was really bright, but there was no sight of the sun. I realized that it was really early in the morning. I cursed myself for waking up this early, on a Sunday, of all days.

            I got up, I couldn’t stand lying on the floor for every much longer. I stretched, and then I carefully walked around my friends sleeping bodies. I went into the kitchen and checked the time. It said it was only 6:30. I cringed. I barely got up this early, even for school it always seemed like I was running late, and never get up early enough.

            I decided I had to do something, so I opened my cabinet and grabbed a pan out. Then I grabbed some pancake batter. I quickly added milk and eggs to the batter. Yes, I was making pancakes. Pancakes have always been one of my favorite meals for breakfast. I quickly turned the stove on, and then I put some butter on the pan. I grabbed a knife using it to stir around the butter. Once the butter melted, and I started to pour a little bit of the pancake batter onto the pan.

            I had about five pancakes done, and I clearly had a lot to go. I should have made half of this batter, but I didn’t have time to really scold myself to not reading the box, because Jenny walked into the kitchen and she smiled once she saw the pancakes.

            “Chef Audrey is in the house,” said Jenny, quietly. I smiled and nodded.

            Jenny grabbed a plate, and then she walked over and grabbed three pancakes. She quickly put butter and syrup on them and she sat on top of the counter eating the pan-cakes with a fork. Meanwhile, I was still flipping pancakes.

            “So what made you get up so early?” asked Jenny. I sighed. Jenny liked sleeping in late, but once school started she couldn’t sleep very late anymore.

            “I don’t know,” I said. I added two more pancakes to the finished plate, and then added two blobs of batter to the pan.

            “Something bothering you?” asked Jenny. I shrugged. A lot of things were bothering me, lately. I just managed to push them all to the back of my head, and tried to enjoy life. But I wasn’t going to tell Jenny that.

            “It’s not important. But what is important is that you are getting picked up at noon for a date, with Tyler,” I said. That was a good way to change the subject, if I do say so myself.

           “Oh, my god! I almost completely forgot,” said Jenny. Maybe it was a good thing that Tyler told me to tell Jenny that. Otherwise, he would have been at her house at noon, and she wouldn’t be ready. But her mouth kept moving. “-so you have to come with me.”

            Clearly, I didn’t hear the first part. I must have been in dream land, like I usually am during the early morning. I looked up at Jenny, and gave her a blank stare. She responded by sighing, and I smiled. She knew that I didn’t hear a word she said.

            “The date at noon? Yeah, I’m supposed to invite a friend. Apparently, when you go to an amusement park its better if you have four people. Tyler is inviting somebody, he wouldn’t tell me who, but he told me to invite a friend. And what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t invite my best friend?” asked Jenny.

            I perked up, when Jenny said the words ‘amusement park’. I loved amusement parks, and the roller coasters. However, I thought they were closed for the winter, but I guessed they were still open on the weekends when the weather was nice enough.

            “I’m in,” I said. Jenny smiled and then she put her dish in the sink. She came up behind me and gave me a hug.

            “Thanks. It would have been completely embarrassing if you couldn’t come, because I think everyone else is busy today,” said Jenny.

I shrugged my shoulders, like it was nothing. And it really wasn’t anything; personally Jenny would be doing me a huge favor. She was taking me to one of my favorite spots of all time, that doesn’t include some directly to nature. My top three favorite spots were the beach, a waterfall, and a forest. Of course I never really told anyone this, not even Jenny. It was just never brought up in a conversation, I guess. But if she ever asked, I would answer her in a heartbeat.

Just then Val came walking into the kitchen. She slowly walked towards the chair, while looking down at her feet. She was also wiping her eyes with her hand. She sat down on one of the chairs at the table, and let her head gently hit the table. She groaned, and I snorted. Val was never really a morning person, which girl was? Then again Val liked to go to be a decent time, but if she had to stay up extra late studying for a test she would also do that.

“Why are you guys talking so fucking loud?” asked Val. Did I mention that Val can be a little cranky? Sometimes it’s cranky in the morning, sometimes not. It just depends on who wakes her up, I guess.

“Sorry,” said Jenny. She sat at the chair left to Val. Val looked up and gave her a dirty look. And then she looked over towards me, her eyes widen at the sight of me flipping pancakes.

“What? You made breakfast? Why didn’t you guys tell me sooner!” said Val.

With that all her crankiness was gone, and she was faster than lightening with getting ready or pancakes. I rolled my eyes, and focused that I only had about four more pancakes to make. I looked at the down pile, and I soon realized that I could feed a whole army with the amount I made. Okay, well maybe not a whole army, but at least twenty-five people, two each.

“Audrey, you make the best pancakes, I swear,” said Val, with her mouth opened. Jenny laughed. I smiled and thanked her.

Shortly, after Val finished her pancakes, and even went for seconds. Miley and Dana got up. At the same time, too. They were more like twins, than anyone I’ve ever met. And I knew at least one other pair of twins than them. I of course at my pancakes, and I had to admit, they were probably the best pancakes I ever had, too. I guess Chef Audrey, was actually pretty good. In the back of my mind, I added becoming a chef to my ever so small list of things I could be when I grow up.

It was a little after ten, when everyone decided that they had to go home and do homework. Jenny and I shared a secret glance, and she knew I would be at her house a little bit before noon. Jenny and I didn’t really like the whole group knowing that we had something planned without them. We weren’t mean, and if they asked about it we would talk about shortly, and then asked them if they did something. Personally, I think Val, Miley, and Dana did stuff without Jenny and me. I was completely fine with that. Sometimes you just need to hang out with one or two people. I got that.

With my stomach full of pancakes, and my heart beating of excitement of riding roller coasters, I hopped in the shower. I had plenty of time to get ready, so I took a nice long shower. Then I changed into some jeans and a cute shirt. I wasn’t stupid. I knew that Tyler told Jenny to bring a friend, because he was sitting up a double date. I just hoped that this secret guy would like me for me.

With one last glance at the mirror, it was already 11:45, I thought I looked good enough to go to an amusement park. And with that I shut the door to my house, realizing my parents were already long gone at work and that I should tell them where I should be going on such short notice.

But then I demised that thought since, my parents wouldn’t really care as long as I was home at a reasonable time. So I started up my car, and I pulled out of the driveway, taking a shaky breath.

I sure hoped this friend wasn’t Jace.