Chapter 48: She Is Worth It To Me

*Tobias POV*

I walk briskly to the Leadership Medical Ward, where Luke Clark has agreed to meet with me in his hospital room. I feel a little anxious; although I have technically interacted with him on numerous occasions, I have never met him as myself. I am now me again, I am whole. For me, this is really the first time I am actually meeting him. Although I only know bits and pieces, I am not blind – I know that there is some kind of relationship between this man and Tris. I am not blaming either of them, I know I was awful to her and basically gift-wrapped her and handed her over. But that time is over. I know that I will fight for Tris no matter what or who is in my way.

I have never considered myself a jealous person when it came to love. Probably because the only woman I have ever loved is Tris, and there is something to be said for loving someone so much that it consumes every part of your mind and body. It almost gives you this sense of security that the person that you love so much, must also feel the same way in return. I have never doubted her romantic loyalty to me, as my devotion to her could never be tested.

A memory filters in:

"Don't for a second think that I am interested in anyone but you."

I now find myself in a grey area, because my actions- although out of my control, still me nonetheless – have hurt her terribly. I have said things to her that were appalling. I have made her feel as though she was nothing. While at the same time, from what I have gathered, Luke Clark has always been there for her during the times that I failed her. I bite back tears remembering their loving embrace in the lobby the night of the Awards Gala, and his declaration of love for Tris when we were at Dauntless. This man genuinely loves her. She knows it, he knows it, and now I know it.

My mind is still reeling with the new information my brain is processing. I feel I have been trapped in a box of darkness and I am just now opening my eyes and was quickly presented a bad movie of my life over the last few months. The hardest part is reconciling myself as just being impacted by the memory serum, and then the experiences I had when Nita brainwashed me with her poison and video tools. I still can't believe that vile woman managed to inject herself with the serum. I would have enjoyed nothing more than dedicating my life to her slow, painful destruction. I need to forget about Nita and focus on the issue at hand. We all need to work together to make sure Tris is safe.

As I arrive to Luke's room I am quickly ushered in. There is a setup of monitors and numerous members of his team in the room, hard at work. The moment Luke sees me, he calls for everyone's attention and asks them to give us a few minutes alone. As they file out, my direct supervisor, Troy, pauses to say hello, and we shake hands. He already knows about the reversal of the memory serum and tells me it is nice to officially meet me.

 He already knows about the reversal of the memory serum and tells me it is nice to officially meet me

As the last man walks out, he closes the door behind him. I stand tall and face Luke, who is eyeing me head to toe. I control my body to keep from fidgeting. It is still unnerving for me to feel like I am being studied.