Chapter: 35 That's What Friends Are Four

*Four POV*

I sprint towards the labeled exit door that I can see from where I was standing with Nita backstage. As soon as I push through the door and hear it close behind me I realize my mistake. I am now locked out of the backstage area and in a stairwell that does not have any visible signs or labels. I quickly run down two flights of stairs to arrive to a door that is labeled 'Basement'. I sigh and then run back up the stairs, passing the original level where I entered. I finally find an unlocked door six flights of stairs up. I am now in the hallway for the highest balcony level of the auditorium, which is not in use for this event.

I take a moment to catch my breath and think about where Tris might be. I quickly walk to the edge of the balcony so that I can look at Tris's table from up high, maybe she has already returned to her seat. As I step to the edge and lean over I am instantly crippled with fear. Panic bubbles up inside me, and I bite my lip to stifle my scream. I instantly have a coppery taste in my mouth. I launch myself backwards landing squarely on my bottom. As I am safely sitting on the ground, I take deep breaths in and out to calm myself. What the hell was that? I was not afraid of heights just a week ago, I was in the atrium on a huge ladder helping a technician adjust the new cameras we have been adding since the New Rebels threat.

I slowly crawl towards the edge of the balcony, as I cautiously hold onto the railing while also still sitting on the ground. It dawns on me that I must really care about Tris to force myself to look down from this balcony again. I plan to tell her this amazing feat I faced I just for her. She better appreciate it.

Then I remember reality.

Who am I kidding? For a second the look on her face when I broke away from Nita's sloppy kiss crosses my mind. I feel a pang in my chest. I hate that I hurt her. Especially right after what she just faced moments earlier with her presentation of wonderful David.

I just need to find her, and talk to her.

I glance down, I see the empty seat next to Matthew. She is not at her table.

I quickly get as far away from the balcony edge and then stand up. I find the elevator and take it down to the lobby level. As I step out, I glance down the hallway to my right and left, there are a couple of attendees and event staff, but I see no sign of Tris.

It is when I look across the lobby that I finally find her. In the arms of Luke Clark, and he is in her arms. I suck in my breath. I take a moment to watch them, because it is something I need to see. How could I forget that Tris is dating him? Watching them hold each other, it looks like they are more than just casually dating. They look like a couple deeply in love, in an intimate embrace. I then notice an older couple that walks by them, unnoticed by Tris or Luke. The couple points to them and smiles, as they pass me I overhear them talking about how nice it is to see a young and passionate pair that is obviously so deeply in love. I rub my temples, and then I walk back into the auditorium without looking at them again. I have seen enough.

What I did not see, was that Nita was already in the lobby before I had even gotten off the elevator. She was watching the entire scene play out in front of her.

+o+++o+++o+

I take my seat at my assigned table. I was seated with other award presenters that had been selected, no one that I knew personally which was nice not to have to answer any questions about my extended absence. One of them does ask me if my girlfriend would be joining us, I am sure referring to Nita and the kiss that everyone saw on stage. I just scowl, and then I am not spoken to for the rest of the night.