Chapter 13: Wake Up Tris

**Tris POV**

"Tris. Come on Tris. It is time. Come back to us. You are ready." I hear a soft voice say. And then I suddenly am aware that someone is gently rubbing my head, encouraging me to wake up and open my eyes.

I will myself to open my eyes, blinking painfully as the bright lights cause me to cringe with discomfort. I slowly accustom myself to the light and then look around the room. There is a team of medical personal in the room, just staring and me and smiling.

I open my mouth to speak, and only a croak escapes my lips. A very nice nurse comes over and holds a straw to my lips. "There you go sweetie, don't drink too much now. It will make you sick." I recognize her voice from previous conversations. I like her instantly. I want her to help get me the hell out of here. Whatever this place may be.

The next few hours are a blur. I have learned that I have been in a medically induced coma for almost three months. They explained to me that I was found dead, although they were able to resuscitate me they had truly believed I had no brain function, so they allowed my family and friends to say goodbye. They had kept me alive for the sole purpose of genetic testing, as a Divergent/Genetically Pure there was so much they wanted to learn from me.

I was found in the control room with the former Bureau director David, initially it was believed that I was part of a rebel uprising trying to destroy the bureau. Upon further investigation and the realization that David would not have shot me, there was a third person in the room that attacked us both. I keep my expression neutral as they presented their misinformed account. It was that monster that shot me multiple times. Why had David lied to not implicate me? And then it dawned on me, our plan worked! David must no longer have his memories– the memory serum saved us all.

Suddenly the doctor stepped forward, introducing himself as Dr. Grey, he had just joined the staff coming from Providence in order to lead the medical division. He explained to me that all of our memories were erased because of a freak accident, and that although my body is still in the process of healing from my gunshot wounds, I would also need to work with a rehabilitation team in order to help me to readjust to life without my previous memories.

They have assumed I was impacted by the memory serum, of course they did – they found me in the same room as David. My mind races, how will I explain this? I don't want to leave the prison of my coma only to be thrown into the prison of the Bureau jail.

And then it hits me – a memory so strong I feel chills down my spine.

His words to me, "You die. I die too." Three months?! Did they just tell me that my family and friends think I am dead, in a moment I am screaming. Having found my voice. I sob and scream for Tobias. Why was he not here to see me? Was he ok?

Suddenly I feel the familiar pinch in my neck and I am lulled to sleep. I had been sedated for my own safety.

Before falling into a deep sleep I hear an unknown voice gasp and say, "Damn it, she wasn't impacted by the memory serum! We need to keep her sedated until the team decides how to proceed."

And then there is only darkness.