Chapter 16: The Escape

*Tobias POV*

I gently remove her arms from around my neck, and gently hold her hands in mine. I don't want to be cruel, but I also don't want to give her any false hope. I want to get her out of here, it is the decent thing to do. But after that, I can't imagine that we would become friends. Before she opens her eyes, I ask her if she is well enough to walk, or even run.

Tris's eyes snap open at that. "I was just brought out of a medically induced coma...I can walk, but I am not sure about running." She whispers. Her voice trembles, but then steadies by the time she finishes her sentence.

Suddenly, as if she only then noticed I was holding her hands she pulls them away from me. A small frown on her face, she is no longer looking me directly in the eyes.

"We need to leave now, I used my position in security surveillance to bring down the cameras between this wing and then to the main offices of the bureau – but we are on borrowed time before someone realizes the system has malfunctioned. Are you ready?" I ask her, standing up as I offer her my hand to help her get out of her bed.

Instead she points to the corner of the room, "Would you please hand me that robe? I don't really have actual clothes here. But I also don't want to escape only wearing a hospital gown." She watches as I silently retrieve her robe and hand it to her.

"Turn around please." She whispers. She still has not looked me in the eyes. I do as she asked. Suddenly she is standing next to me, in her robe and even sneakers and she motions for the door. We silently slip out of the room.

As we make our way through the hallway, Tris asks me where my weapon is – she has still not looked me in the eyes. And then she actually scoffs at me when I tell her I don't have access to any weapons. I chuckle and remind her I am doing an ok job so far at rescuing her. She nods her head, but remains silent and still not making eye contact with me.

We are almost to the final door when an alarm is sounded. Crap, so close. I look at her and tell her we need to make a run for it. Our eyes connect and she nods, her eyes look so sad. And then she looks away from me again. Tris is barely able to jog, I grab her by the elbow and try to help by pulling her along into a run. We are so close, we need to make it. Suddenly there are three guards surrounding us with guns pointed at me.

"You! Stop right now. Step away from the patient and we can end this peacefully. We don't want anyone to get hurt." The one closest to me says. "We will not let you kidnap this woman, she is under protection of the bureau. Surrender – hands up and lay flat on the ground. Now!"

Tris takes a step back to lean against the wall. I notice she looks flushed and is resting some of her weight by placing her hands on her knees while breathing deeply in and out. She finally looks at my eyes and frowns sadly. And suddenly it was if a switch in me was flipped.

Without even thinking about how, or why – I begin to fight. I quickly disarm the guard closes to me and then twist his arm behind his back while holding him as a human shield from the other two men. Once I walk within striking range of the second guard my arm releases my human shield and I simultaneously punch one in the throat and the other I kick behind the knee – taking them both down at the same time. They both cry out in pain. I don't care.

Instantly I can feel the third guard charging at me. At the last moment I crouch down on one knee and fling him over my back. He roughly crashes to the floor after landing on a table that had been filled with hospital equipment. I notice that one of the guards that I had knocked down was beginning to gear up for a second attack – I use the butt of one of their guns and whack him on the back of his head, knocking him immediately unconscious. I realize that if we have any hope of escaping, I need to make sure we are not followed. I quickly walk to the remaining two guards and knock them unconscious.

  I quickly walk to the remaining two guards and knock them unconscious

"Tris." I call to her as I approach her while she still leans against the wall for support. She looks at me with admiration and a small smile, although I can see she is still struggling to regain her strength after running through the halls.

Suddenly her finger tips are on my cheek, and she whispers "You are still Four." And as if in slow motion her eyes close and I just barely catch her before she hits the floor. I scoop her into my arms and quickly make the decision to take her back to my apartment. I will keep her safe with me, at least until I can figure out my next steps.

.

~o~~o~~o~~o~~ End of Part 2 ~~o~~o~~o~~o~