Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bell Chimes

{Orphia's POV}

Things calmed down since Gehenna spilled into Assiah a while back. Although what I thought was a brotherly bonding moment between the twins, only turned out to be a fluke.

Yukio went back to judging his older brother from a distance. Limitations placed on Rin kept him a constant target for the other exorcists. Mephisto was avoiding me at all costs as well.

I watched over Assiah from Gehenna. Believe it or not, I even made a friend. She holds the appearance of a young girl with silver hair. I had told her the story of my past many times.

"Orphia! Can I finally visit Assiah? You promised me." She cried. I picked up the girl into my arms.

She had a nostalgic aura about her. A reminder of who I was as a child. But she didn't have to feel the pain of abuse from her parents.

After all, she doesn't have any.

During the great purge under that man's reign, thousands of demons good and bad were slaughtered.

Hana's father was all she had left. He was a familiar of sorts. Thousands of years ago he made a contract with an old monk to protect his lands just north of True Cross.

When the monk died Hana's father continued to guard that land out if respect for the man.

But he died when the exorcists invaded. A price too many had to pay.

"Soon Hana. I'll take you there soon." I smiled. Bells echoed signaling her curfew. She would spend half her time listening to me tell stories, and when that bell rang, she would run off to her school.

While exorcists learned how to kill creatures like us, we taught younger demons how to coexist. To be the reflection of Assiah and keep to ourselves. Though there are those few rogue demons.

Demons like Satan and myself that are drawn to the other side.