Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-Two: Purging Crusade

{Yukio's POV}

I was doing this for them. I swore to father that I would protect Rin. I swore to Rin and myself that I would keep Orphia safe.

So why do I feel like I've already failed them?

Operation Jacob's Ladder. I hated the idea of it, the mission leaving a sour taste in my mouth. But I'd do anything to save my brother.

Even if it meant killing every last demon in Assiah.

By this time all the exorcists-in-training should have been given new weapons. They would go out with the higher ranked exorcists and begin purging the demons from every hole and shadow.

There wasn't to be a single tar left untouched.

This is for their sake. They'll have to understand. It's the only way... to make Rin human again.

<>

The campground was lit even in the shadows of the demonic forest and the unforgiving darkness of night.

Food was handed out to them in rations. It felt like a prison camp. They were all working as hard as they could.

For the greater good.

The charging echoed as the hude boar tore through camp. I stepped behind it shooting once.

It's whispers. I can hear murmers, yet not coherent words.

Filled with annoyance and anger I blindly began tearing into the demon bullet after bullet.

"Yukio! What are you doing?! He was just upset because we killed his comrades!" Rin defended.

It hurt me to see him so distressed. To sympathize for a mere demon.

"Our mission is to rid all the demons from Assiah." I stated.

He glared at me with disbelief. "What about Kuro, Ukobach, Kamiki's familiars?! What about Orphia?!" He yelled.

I was filled with rage.

I'm doing it for you, don't you see?!

I snapped for a moment and before I realized it I had knocked him completely unconscious.

Forgive me Rin, but you just won't listen.