Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen: No Turning Back

{Orphia's POV}

I hated to admit it, but life at True Cross became grueling. I fell sick a few days ago and missed an incident with a giant cat and a kraken. O how I wished to see that.

"How are you feeling today?" Yuki inquired from my doorway. I felt the nauseating twist in my gut for the millionth time again.

"No difference" I mumbled. My room was dark and I hid in the corner of my bed so he couldn't fully get a glimpse of what I looked like.

You're a demon. A purebred demon and you expected this not to happen? You're time in Assiah is about up.

I groaned holding a hand to my head. The world was spinning around me and all I could do was sit back and fall victim to its trance.

"Why don't you come with me? The students are going off to the park for a ghost mission. You can sit out when you're there" he suggested.

I stood up and walked toward him. His posture became tense. He may not have noticed his own instinct, but I can see an exorcist in front of me. He's barely even himself anymore.

<>

I sat on a nearby bench with the hood to my sweatshirt covering my face from the bright sunlight.

Why was this a good idea again? Yukio was splitting the kids into groups when I felt something off—something stronger than a ghost lurking around. I grabbed Arisha from behind me and slipped into the park unnoticed.

Towards the center. It's waiting.

My head pierced with pain. Everytime my conscience or whatever it was had input on a situation, I paid the price.

Mephisto's park was not only a sight for sore eyes, but a labyrinth within itself. No wonder a ghost could roam undetected for so long.

"Hehehe" I spun around and saw a little boy bouncing around the swings. It seemed to be having fun on its own, but once it spotted me the boy broke into tears.

Deception. Cleverness. Don't fall for it.

"Don't fall for what exactly" I muttered to myself. The boy looked up at me with tear-filled eyes.

"Will you play with me miss? I got sick and died and was never able to come here with my parents-"

"You sure know how to tug at the ol' heartstrings dontcha kid?" I smirked grabbing him by the shirt. He broke into a wicked grin.

"Fine, if you won't play nicely, let's enjoy a game of tag!" He yelled slippig from my grip and dissapearing into a ride.

One of the other groups it bound to catch that brat.

I continued my journey searching for the stronger enemy here. It was definitely watching me. I could feel its intense gaze.

Where are you? Stop hiding you prick.

I pulled Arisha out of her sheath and bright magenta electricity poured from the blade.

"That's new" I laughed to myself.

"Say, long-time-no-see Orphia"

My skin crawled at his voice. What was he doing here? Of all demons in Gehenna?!

"Amaimon" I seethed.