Chapter 26

Chapter 26

They were back to Monday morning once again. They were all cranky from the party and Hazel was in the worst mood of them all, closely followed by Lewis. They all sat at the table in silence and that was the way everyone wanted it to stay. It was like that for about ten minutes until Harold came in. He didn't like it this quiet, so he thought he would say something.

"The Girl in the Mask hasn't struck for a few months now has she?" He said collecting empty plates. Everyone looked at him. Roan's heart began racing. Did they think it was her? Had she made it obvious? She had completely forgotten about that. "It's just been in the paper lately."

"Mm I noticed that. Good riddance, if she showed up here....well she wouldn't live very long."

"I don't get what she has done wrong." Liam said.

"Not showed her face, kept secrets and suddenly disappear. Next thing she'll be in this very house." Lewis stared at Roan and she swallowed.

"It's ok Roan, he's joking." Jake said.

"I know."

"You've gone a little pale, r u ok?" He asked her.

"Fine, I just need to...to freshen up, that's all." She said quickly getting up. She ran upstairs and shut herself in her room. She had to do something, then she had the most perfect idea. It would work, it had to otherwise she could be in big trouble. She went back downstairs and Liam was in the hall waiting for her.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

"I am now." She said taking his hand. They then disappeared. When they reappeared they kept their hands together and walked to the arts rooms. They were both finishing off big paintings and Roan used this time to fully plan what she was going to do and when she would be sneaking out. She knew she wouldn't be able to sneak out until third lesson. She knew at this time Hazel would have gone home, Jake would be in science and Liam would be in Maths. So she would have free time, which she would normally spend either back at the house or in the library. Hazel would think she was at the library and the boys would think she was at home. It worked both ways. She wasn't sure where she was going to go yet. She was going to do two missions if she could and wouldn't go too far from the town.

"Roan are you sure you're ok? I mean you look as if your plotting something." He said.

"What?" She asked. "Don't be silly, I'm fine honestly." She lied.

"All right, I'll stop fussing then, but if there was something wrong you would tell me wouldn't you?" He asked. She nodded.

"Course I would!" She said. Liam seemed to relax a little and he got on with his work. She bit her lip as she painted round the eyes of the girl on her work and then moved onto the butterflies surrounding her and then the green field she sat in. It was one of her best.

She was in her English next, which she was in only with Faye. She wasn't very sociable at all and Faye was also getting worried about her friend.

"Are you all right today Roan? "She asked.

"Why do people keep asking me that? I'm fine!" She said.

"Ok I was just asking! You just look a bit pale and worried." She said.

"I'm fine, just a bit tired." She answered. Faye just nodded and got her head down back to work. Roan watched the clock and willed time to speed up. She wanted to get out and fast. She carried on with her work and finally the bell went. She packed up her things and walked with Faye to the 6th form block. When they got there the boys were sat waiting for them. Roan sat down next to Liam and he put his arm round her waist and she moved closer to him. Faye and Will sat far apart from each other awkwardly. All Roan and Liam could do was smile to themselves. Now, she had twenty minutes before she had to leave.