Chapter 1

Chapter 1

All her life Roan had wanted to be normal. When she was younger, she knew what would happen to her, but it never seemed quite that real. She looked normal as a child and felt relatively normal, it wasn't until she entered the teenager world when she realised being a Breathing Spirit meant more then spots and bad tempers. She had twice the temper, especially with her parents, and had to deal with the fact that at any point over the age of sixteen, she would be taking her transformation and stepping into adulthood. Now seventeen and in lower 6th form, life sucked as far as she was concerned and the worst thing was, there was nothing she could do about it.

"Roan please hurry up, you're going to be late." Heather said to her daughter. Roan rolled her eyes and grabbed her bag which was hanging over the chair next to her. Heather was washing up and staring out of the window, but she saw Roan leave the room in the reflection.

"You're dad is planning to do a bit of practice tonight love!" She called.

"Do I have to?" She shouted.

"Your father makes the rules." Heather shouted back. Roan sighed and slammed the door behind her. She marched up the little farm track and got to the road at the end. Walking up to the end of the street she came to the main road and walked along the path opposite the woods. No one ever hardly went into the woods; they stretched for miles on end and there wasn't much point in going in them. This was an advantage for Roan and her family. They had a sanctuary in the woods where their animal spirit would take over their bodies in a full moon and they didn't want to cause panic so Heather and Bill both went in human form to the sanctuary and then would shut themselves in, so the animal wouldn't get out. Roan hardly ever went in there. There wasn't much point as she hadn't had her transformation yet, which she knew would be happening very soon.

She turned left down another road and walked passed Jerry's shop and Alison's café which were right next to each other and the only bright things along the whole street.

As she walked, more and more kids were walking on either side of the road on their way to school. Turning down a few more streets she then came to her school. It was a big building and was fairly old, it wasn't particularly ugly, but you didn't really want to look at it either. Walking through the gates she met up with her friends Robin and Aimee. Roan had known these two for as long as she could remember and she had lost count of how many times she had tried to tell them about her secret. Her parents had told her never to trust anyone with her secret. Friends may turn you down if they find out you're not human, according to her parents. Roan linked arms with Aimee and got a big grin from Robin. She and Robin had always been very close as they had grown up together, he was tall, decent looking with brown hair and even browner eyes with thick black eyelashes any girl would crave. He had high cheekbones and his skin was a dark olive colour which Roan would kill for, but even sitting out the sun for a year, she would never go that tanned and stay that way all year. He was understanding, but protective as well and was the perfect friend in Roan's eyes. Aimee on the other hand was about the same height as Roan, but she had brown hair which wasn't particularly a colour you would remember. Roan always thought Aimee was quite plain, but in a nice way, her hair was mid length and layered which saved the fact that it was a dull colour, just like Robin she had brown eyes, but hers were much lighter and the shape was much rounder. She was wearing her favourite dress and as always made Roan feel like she hadn't made an effort. Roan lived in jeans, t-shirts and checked shirts and was hardly ever not wearing a pair of converse.

They all walked in together and went to form first as the always did and were just glad they weren't in assembly. Roan couldn't think of anything worse. They sat in one of the English rooms and Mr Brian came waltzing in, making jokes and being simply happy. Everyone loved Mr Brian. He wasn't exactly a slim man and he had square glasses and very little hair. You could make out three or four wrinkles on his forehead, but when he smiled you instantly felt at home. He didn't have many notices so he just let them talk for the rest of the twenty minutes.