Will

I heard a frantic whinny and felt a jerk before my stomach dropped and I was falling. The sun blinded my eyes when I opened them. 'What a lovely way to start the day,' I thought. Pumpernickel swooped down to catch me, but I was falling too fast. I didn't scream, my breath was knocked out of me. I was terrified, praying to the gods that I would survive this.  I reached out, squinting, towards Pumpernickel, but as my hand brushed his wing I smashed into a tree and tumbled through the branches.  I lay on the ground, scared, shocked, and winded, my arms and legs scratched and some bleeding and twigs and leaves caught on my hair and clothes.  Pumpernickel landed next to me and let out a snort before nudging my head in apology. "It's ok, boy." Reluctantly, I stood up to survey my surroundings.  I was standing in a large field. There was nothing but wheat and trees to be seen.  I gripped the hilt of my dagger tightly, unsure. The wheat rippled.  Pumpernickel must've smelled something, because he snorted and in a panic shuffled back, only to hit the tree, whinny and fly away.  I groaned. The ring on my finger was warm.  I fiddled with it as I figured out which direction to turn in.  Settling on one, I started romping through the tall grass and wheat.  About a half an hour into my trek, I felt a shiver down my spine.  The wheat rustled again and I stopped, because there was no wind.  Suddenly, three figures appeared behind me- short, fat, and made completely from grain, each of them holding the same frown on their faces.
"Trespasser!" One cried.
"Manners, please. Who are you?" I dug my voice out of my stomach and asked them.
"I am Wheat! And that is barley and that is oats and they are lame. Hallo!" He smiled then frowned again. "Who are you?"  I knew I had to think of something, and fast.
"I am Will, and I have every right to be walking here." I ran my fingers through my hair cautiously. 
"Liar! Mother Gaea will not have it. This her sacred land. We must take you to her for punishing." I gulped.
"I am stronger than your 'Mother Gaea'! I can defeat all of you in one blow!!" A plan was formulating in my head, but not nearly fast enough. 
"No you cannot.  You are just a scratched up scrawny mortal." He was confused.
"I am no mortal. I am blessed by the gods!" I drew my dagger.
"Fight me!" He lunged at me, arms outstretched.  I slashed at him with my dagger and his arm disintegrated. It started to reform slowly.  I took a step back and held my dagger further. Acting on the spur of the moment, with no better plan, I spoke again. 
"You're weak!  I can blow you to pieces with my light."  I slashed out again, cutting both his arms off and this time concentrating on getting a glow around me.  I thought of all the things that made me happy, like singing, joking with my friends, healing at the infirmary, and hanging out with Nico.  Laughing with Nico. Healing Nico.  His drawings, his smirk, and his kiss. My light spread so far that it was blinding.  I closed my eyes and prayed.  When I opened them again, the grain spirits were gone.  In their places were small puddles of wheat, barley, and oats.  I grinned in relief.  I turned to continue my journey, but another glow flashed in front of me.  "Dad..?" I frowned.  The glow tuned down to reveal a handsome man, sunglasses on, tanned well.  He smiled and ruffled my hair. 
"I'm proud of you, son. You've learned how to use the power of the sun." He reached back and from his hand he produced a necklace.  It had a small golden teardrop pendant.  "Press on the charm, Will, and it will become what you need most." I took it from him. 
"Thanks, Dad." He smiled again and in a flash he was gone.

HELLOOO TO ALL MY GREAT READERS!! THIS CHAPTER WAS PRETTY SHORT I KNOW BUT DON'T WORRY WE WILL FIND NICO SOON ENOUGH!! SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING SOONER- I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO BUT I WILL ALWAYS MAKE TIME FOR YALL!! SEE YOU NEXT CHAPTER,
XXSAM