What I Left Behind- Chapter 46

Although it's not stated in this chapter, the song on the side expresses what Charlie was feeling throughout this chapter.  

Chapter 46

Blake’s POV

I would say that I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. The reasons aren’t always what we expect them to be or in our favor but they are reasons and in the end it all makes sense. Even if it is in some twisted, screwed up way. Everything really does happen for a reason.

And for my best friend Charlie, this reason doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for her right now and hell, it doesn’t make sense to a lot of us but it happened. Things happen and we must deal with them the best we can.

“You need to eat Charlie.” Drew said handing her toast.

She was sitting down in a chair in her living room motionless with all the color on her face drained.

“I’m not hungry.” She responded softly.

Drew wouldn’t let it go. She hadn’t eaten much since the restaurant three days ago and she refused to eat right now.

Her older brothers came back to town when they heard and they each seemed concerned for her.

Although they didn’t do much, their presence gave her comfort and that was most important.

All of us were worried beyond anything.

“I’m not taking no for an answer. Eat this god damn piece of toast or I swear I’ll shove it down your throat for you.” He said getting worked up.

Ethan and I didn’t interject. She needed to eat and if this was the only way to do it then so be it.

She took the piece of toast from his hand and ate it quietly.

“Thank you.” Drew whispered to her but she ignored him.

She had been crying nonstop these past two days and everyone let her. She needed to. She needed to let it out.

I went over to the couch and she instantly cuddled against my body as I held her.

I kissed the top of her head and she started to cry softly.

“I’m not sure what hurts more B. I just don’t.” She whispered softly as she continued to cry.

“I know, I know. God, I know.” I responded squeezing her tighter.

“He’s gone… how can be gone? He was just here! I saw just him hours before! He was there. I was there!” She sobbed against me.

I felt my throat tighten and I looked at Ethan who looked pained. He looked so sad and I knew it was for Charlie. He couldn’t take seeing the ones he loved in pain. It was the same for Drew who looked like he was the one whose heart was broken.

“I loved him B. And I hated him too. Now I just... I don’t know how I feel. I never wished this for him. No matter the shit he put me through I never in a million years thought he’d be gone from the world.”  She said still crying in my arms.

“And Michelle?! What the hell? How dare she do this to me! To him! It’s her fault. It’s all her fault.” She shouted before letting out a sob.

Night of the Accident

Other than the sobs coming from Charlie, I would say that what the doctor told her was a lie.