What I Left Behind- Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I've always had a deep animosity towards hospitals. I was never here for a good reason. This wait to see Ethan again this morning just added the hate I had towards them. Supposedly Ethan needed a quick, small procedure to help his breathing be stable last night and he was in ICU this morning. Coming to the hospital to find out that Ethan had a procedure got me a little upset. They said nothing about a procedure yesterday when I asked Lauren. Even though she said it was nothing, I was still worried. She wouldn't tell me much about it and neither did Brad.

The doctor, as usual, came and talked to Lauren and Brad first. This time, they let Drew and I go and see him first with the doctor tagging along.

We went to a small cubicle that was infested with highly ill people all around. I could tell it bothered Drew by the disgusted look on his face.  Those small expressions he had always made me giggle but I couldn't even plaster a fake smile in this situation.

As we reached Ethan, the doctor opened the curtain to view something that I was in shock for, Ethan looked worst today than he did yesterday. He had more wires and cords attached to him, if that's even possible.

"Why are there so many cords attached to him?" Drew said as if he was reading my mind.

He paused for a few moments before responding.

"Because of his procedure we want to keep a close eye on him. It went without a hitch so we're expecting him to wake up soon. The anesthesia should be worn off by now. " The doctor said flipping his sheets on his clipboard.

"So not long until he wakes up, right?" I asked.

"Give it another half hour or so and he'll be with you, I promise. " He said giving me a pleading look.

I gave him a half smile. I wasn't trying to be rude but I was exhausted. I barely had any sleep last night. If it weren't for Drew, I wouldn't have had any.

"Is it me, or is he looking like some serious shit?" Drew asked.

"It's just you. Ethan never looks like shit." I said winking at him.

I pulled up a chair next to him and sat my head down on the bed.

"I'm gonna be back. This boy needs to eat something." Drew said pointing at himself and walking to pull the curtain.

"Don't get lost pretty boy. This hospital doesn't have any hookers to give you directions." I said smirking at him.

"Maybe not hookers. Hot, slutty nurses? Yes." He said winking at me before leaving the cubicle.

I grabbed Ethan's hand and entwined it in mine. I played around with his fingers for a little while. I felt one of his fingers jerk in mine and I knew it wasn't me who moved it.

"Ethan?" I asked looking to see if he was awake.

He moved his fingers a little more now and started moving his head from left to right. He slowly fluttered his eyelids open, "Are you awake?" I asked getting so excited.

He groaned. He moved his right hand to try and pull the chords that were attached to his body.

"No, they're helping you. Don't take them off." I said grabbing his arm to stop him from pulling the chords out of his body.

He looked at me with his beautiful brown eyes. "Hey you." He said.

I started tearing up as I heard him speak. God I missed him. I turned my head away so he wouldn't see the stupid tears that came down from my face. I fucking hated it when he would see me cry.

I felt his hand touch my face as he was wiping away my tears, "Don't cry. I'm here." He said looking upset.

"Barely." I said.

 "Don't ever do that again Ethan Bradley. You have no idea what you put me through." I said angrily.

He let go of his hand that was entwined in my hand and cupped my face, "I'm sorry I worried you. The last thing I want you to be is upset." He said sadly.

"Upset is an understatement," I replied.

He laughed a little. That damn boy was laughing? I've spent the whole night worried sick about him and here he is, laughing at me? He really was fucking crazy that boy.

He must have been reading my mind, "I'm sorry. I love you, you know. Forgive me." He said in all seriousness.

"I don't know about forgiving you that easily. You'll need to earn it." I said kissing him on the cheek.

He laid back closing his eyes. Something was still hurting him. His chest?

"Are you okay?" I asked concerned as he rubbed his hands on his chest.

"Not really. My chest is aching a little, can you buzz the doctor?" He asked.

"Sure." I replied hitting the red button next to his bed.

The curtain opened and instead of the doctor, Drew came in.

"What the fuck is up with forty-year old women and their attraction towards me? I know I'm sexy and all but I'm not a fucking dad they can screw around with. Them horny pedophiles." Drew said as he walked up to the bed.

Both Ethan and I laughed, "Look's like I haven't missed much." Ethan said catching breaths in between his words.

"You did too miss something, a damn shower that's for sure. Go clean yourself you nasty freak." Drew said dapping Ethan up. 

I giggled. The doctor came in and looked over at Ethan. "Welcome back Ethan. How are you feeling?" He asked Ethan.

"I'm good, the pain is strong though. Can't I get some medicine for that?" He asked.

"You sure can, let me get some painkillers for you in just a sec. Is there any fatigue, drowsiness, or headaches?" He asked pointing a light in his eyes to check his vitals.

"A small headache but better than last night. It's mainly just the pain in my chest." He said boring into the doctors. How strange was he acting? Must be from the anesthesia.

"Your headache is from the concussion and you're set on IV and fluids all day to help your hydration." The doctor said.

The doctor looked at Drew and I then back at Ethan, "There is something we must discuss Ethan. Do you two mind stepping outside for just a second?" The doctor asked Drew and I. That was pretty weird. I thought all the bad stuff was over? Hopefully this wasn't something serious.

"Sure." Drew replied pulling me outside the cubicle.

I paced back and forth outside the cubicle wondering what they were talking about. It can't be bad, right?

"Chill out Blake. He's fine. The doctor just said that he was so relax." Drew said taking a sip out of his drink.

"Yeah but why would he ask to talk to Ethan alone?" I said still pacing.

Drew stopped me from pacing, "Will you always stop thinking about everything negatively? Ethan is fine. You're fine, I'm fine, everyone's fine. Now breathe." He said slightly calming me down.

The doctor pulled the curtains and gestured us to go back in if we wanted. "So everything's good, right?" I asked.

He put his hand on my shoulder, "Everything is excellent. He is very strong." He said before leaving.

I let out a sigh of relief. Thank god Ethan was going to be okay.

 *******************************************************

Sorry It was short! I'll be updating the next chapter at the end of this week! Next chapter is lengthy I promise(: Thanks for reading :)