What I Left Behind- Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Blake's POV

Months flew by and my senior year was going great. The football team was amazing and now they are heading to the championships next week.  There was no doubt in my head that we wouldn't win. Auburn High has the best football program in all of Virginia. All of my friends were a bunch of nervous two year olds applying to colleges. By the way they were all acting, I'd be surprised if no colleges wanted them. Before I knew it, it was Thanksgiving.  My mom was making dinner for my grandparents and some friends. Drew, Ethan, Charlie, and Michelle are expected to come later, after they have dinner with their families. I decided to call my Dad and wish him a happy Thanksgiving to kill the next half hour before we ate.

 "Hello," I heard him say through the phone.

 "Hey Dad, Its Blake." I said starting to feel bummed.

 "Blake honey, how is my little girl?" He asked.

"I'm great Dad, how's my old man and Nana?" I asked holding back the tears. I really missed him and Nana. I haven't seen him or her since last Christmas due to his work schedule being hectic.

"We're doing just fine. How school, friends, and your mother?" He asked.

"Schools great, friends are amazing and mom is well, mom." I said chuckling a little.

"That's great sweetheart, well I'm sorry I have to cut the phone call short. Your Nana needs some help with something. I'll talk to you as soon as I can." He said with his voice going soft.

"Okay Dad, I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving. Tell Nana the same for me." I said fighting the tears.

"Alright sweetheart, love you. You be a good girl now. I'll talk to you soon." He said.

"Love you too Dad." I said disconnecting the phone call.

I went to the bathroom and fixed my makeup. I hated crying. It made me feel weak.  I reapplied some eyeliner on and mascara. It was about time that dinner was ready so I headed downstairs. I went to the dining room and saw my grandparents and a few of my mom's friends sitting down at the table.

"Guess who decided to finally show her face after all?" My grandma asked giving me a hug.

"Sorry Grandma." I said softly, not trusting my voice to speak.

I gave my grandpa a quick hug and greeted my moms friends.

I sat through dinner hearing my mother talking about her work and a little on her next project. She was an editor for a fashion magazine, the same as what I wanted to be when I was older.

After a few hours, I went outside to my cabana. It was freezing as it was the end of November but I didn't care. I wanted some fresh air and the crisp autumn breeze always did the trick. Before I realized, my eyes were watering.

"If you stay out here any longer, you're going to get pneumonia." I heard a boy say.

 I didn't turn around. I quickly rubbed my eyes, trying to stop crying. I turned around when I thought that I wouldn't be obvious. I saw Ethan standing right outside. I gave him a weak smile.

Ethan came over to me, "Blake, what's wrong?" He said cupping my face looking in my eyes.

"Nothing," I said giving him another weak smile.

 "You look like you've been crying and I know that smile. Something's wrong. What is it Blake?" He asked with his fierce brown eyes that I loved.

"I told you I'm fine. Something flew in my eye, that's all." I said feeling stupid. I hated his timing. Why did he always have to there when I was a mess?