What I Left Behind- Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Ethan's POV

I was released from the hospital the following day and it's been two weeks since. Blake stayed that weekend and managed to come here at least 4 times a week. I told her that I was doing fine, more than fine but that girl never listened to me. I was studying like crazy due to finals this week. God I couldn't wait till it's over and we'll all be on break.

"Take a break and come here." Blake said ushering me to lie next to her on my bed.

I smiled at her and didn't protest. I lied down on the bed and she cuddled against my body immediately.

She started playing with the matching bracelet I had with her that I was on my wrist and started thinking deeply.

"God when I got that call from Drew I knew something was off." She started to say moving her pointer finger up and down my chest.

"I must have scared everyone who was near me when I got that call. It was so bad. Poor Chase." She giggled.

I chuckled before I heard her finish her comment, "Who is Chase?" I asked curiously looking at her.

She bit her lip and her eyes grew wide.

"Just a friend who I ran into." She said with an expression that looked like it was as if she were caught for doing something she wasn't supposed to.

"Just ran into?" I asked as she sat her body up.

"Yeah him and I accidently bumped into one another and he offered to take me out to a restaurant. I had nothing else to do and wanted to pass time until you texted me so I agreed." She said shrugging.

I felt my jaw tightened. Why was I getting so heated about this when it wasn't a big deal?

"How did you two even meet?" I asked.

"At a party I went to a few months ago. Why does this matter babe? It was just friendly." She said looking in my eyes.

"When I asked you who he was, you looked like you were caught. I don't know what it is but by the sound of it, this guy sounds like he was hitting on you and I sure as hell am not liking this." I said starting to get angry.

"Whoa lover boy, I promise you that it was nothing like that. It wasn't planned Ethan. Why are you acting like this?" She asked with her eyes softening.

"Acting like a protective boyfriend? Isn't that what I'm supposed to do lover girl? Care about his girl?" I responded defensively.

"That's not what I meant." She said with hurt showing in her eyes.

"Do you not trust me Ethan? Is that it?" She asked with the hurt even more noticeable now.

At first, I didn't say anything causing her to get up from the bed and stand in front of me with her hands crossed across her chest.

"You should be the last person to be talking about not trusting someone Ethan. You've gone a whole year without telling me about your condition! And I'm the one who isn't to be trusted?!" She shouted at me.

I stood up in front of her, "You think that it's an easy subject to talk about Blake? You have no idea how hard it is to deal with every day. You aren't going through it Blake, I am." I shouted back at her but not as loud as her.

She shook her head disapprovingly; the one gesture that she knew ticked me off the most. It showed her disappointment in someone or something and it was something that I'd hate to see.

"Maybe not Ethan but I know what it feels like to suffer from seeing the ones you love hurt or ill and let me tell you something, it may not hurt physically like your condition or my Nana's cancer, but it sure as hell hurts like a bitch in every other aspect." She said angrily.