What I Left Behind- Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Blake's POV

It was the end of February and it felt like September. That was of course because the California weather was nothing like Virginias. I've managed to take online classes and two classes at the local community college. Why I decided to pile myself up with taking so many classes, I have no idea. I should have taken less, it made more sense so that I could take care of Nana, but I did the exact opposite.

I needed to be distracted when I wasn't taking care of her and school seemed like the best answer. At the rate I was going and with all of the AP classes I took in high school, I would be done with school in total by next year, probably even next semester. I took many classes last semester too, which made me even more ahead of the game.

"Caroline's going to be sleeping for the next few hours, you sure you don't want to go out and get some fresh air?" Grace whispered from beside me.

I read one last line from my textbook and looked up at her, "No, I'm okay, thanks." I said before returning to my schoolwork.

"Well I'm not. Get up right now Blake." I heard my father from the door.

I raised him an eyebrow and he just ushered me to get up and follow him.

I grabbed all of my schoolwork and shoved it into my bag before following my Dad out of Nana's room.

"What's wrong Dad?" I asked as I entered the kitchen.

"You need to leave the house, just for a few hours. I can't see you in that room for a second longer or I'll go insane. You're either in her room or in her room and I want you, I need you, to go out and get some fresh air, for you and for me." My father said as he tossed me his car keys.

"I'm not leaving." I responded folding my arms across my chest.

"Oh yes you are. And leave those books and crap here. I'm ordering you to take a break Blake and you are going to, right now. So go." He said pushing me towards the door.

"Let me at least get my phone!" I said.

"It's right here, along with your wallet." He responded handing me my phone and wallet before pushing me out the door and locking it behind him.

I sighed. Why was he doing this? He's a crazy man, I swear.

I looked at the keys he handed to me and hit the unlock button to see which car I was to take.

The lights to the white Lexus flashed. Looks like that's the answer.

I looked back at the house and contemplated going anywhere. What if something happened to Nana?

Just then I received a text from my Dad. I unlocked my phone an opened it, 'Why are you still here? If you decided to stay, that's fine but the doors wont be unlocked until 5:30'

I looked at the time on my phone and saw that I had four hours until then. What the hell! I am NOT staying out that long. He must be psychotic.

I opened the car door and hopped in. I turned on the ignition and I took one last look at the house before driving down the long driveway. I zoomed past all of the shops that were along the boardwalk and decided that I'd park my car and walk around for a little bit. My favorite milkshake shack was here anyways and I had been craving one so it seemed like a good idea.

I parked the car and got out. The cool breeze hit my face and I took in the smell of the salty air. I walked along the boardwalk until I reached the milkshake shack. It was surprisingly busy with a bunch of people but mainly boys who looked like they were surfing on the beach. How they surfed in that freezing water was beyond me.