What I Left Behind- Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Ethan's POV

I was talking to Coach when it happened. I honestly don't even know who hit me but it wasn't anyone under 200 pounds, that's for sure.

All I remember was being strolled into some room where I passed out again. I woke up about three hours ago and the doctor was already here looking at me. Almost everyone on the team came in my room and saw me except Drew. I was expecting him to be the first person and every guy I asked on where he was didn't know either.

The doctor said that my heart condition was stable for now. My medicine was working fine before this but because I did get hit, I needed to be prescribed stronger medications. My doctor had a skeptical look on his face all afternoon and I was wondering what he was keeping from me so I asked him. As figured, he was keeping something from me but only because he wasn't sure until he saw my test results. Supposedly my condition wasn't going to get better soon and that I needed to go to the doctors once every three weeks to see the progress with my new medication.

He said that I'd be able to leave in two days, depending on the rest of my tests but if my heart remains stable form here on until the two days then there's no reason why I shouldn't go home.

I was lying in bed now staring up at the ceiling. The team had just left and it was just me in the room with the nurse.

"Comfortable Mr. Bradley?" The young brunette nurse said. She must have just graduated med school. She looked to be very young.

"Yeah, thank you." I said. She gave me a smile.

"Are you on the football team for your school?" She asked curiously as she looked at my IV.

"No, I'm assisting the defensive coordinator for the team." I said staring at what she was doing.

"That's surprising. You look like you're one of them." She said smiling.

"Big and funky looking? Nah, that's not me." I said chuckling slightly.

She giggled too when I heard the door open.

We both focused our attention to the door and I saw Blake walk in. That was when a knot started to form in the back of my throat. I felt my jaw become tight.

She was wearing long leggings paired with black riding boots and a leather jacket unzipped so that her white shirt was showing. 

I looked at her more clearly and her cheeks were puffy either from crying or the cold outside. I couldn't tell what it was though.

She slammed the door and stared right at me.

"I'll come back to check your vitals again in an hour Mr. Bradley." The nurse said as she left the room.

Blake didn't even glance at her as the nurse made her way passed her.

I didn't know what to say. How did she get here? How did she find out?

"Drew. If that's what you're wondering, Drew picked me up." She said still showing no emotion in her eyes or body language.

I waited a little before I responded. I wasn't sure if she knew about my heart condition but I needed to tell her either way right now. My gaze didn't leave hers, not for a single second.

"We need to talk." I managed to say without my voice cracking.

She looked at me and her face finally showed some sort of emotion. It was the one thing that I didn't want to see though, a combination of disappointment and betrayal.

"Yeah let's talk Ethan. Let's talk about how you almost died today because some person hit you on accident. Let's talk about Drew knowing what's wrong with you but not your girlfriend. Let's talk about why you didn't feel the need to call me when you woke up just a few hours ago. Let's talk about it all." She said angrily as she crossed her arms across her chest.