Chapter 14.

David's POV.

I walked out the boys locker room with my Nike duffle bag hanging off my shoulder. I leaned down to tie my shoes  and when I stood up I saw Liza standing there.

"Hey?" I said, kinda surprised she was here. "What's up?" I asked thinking she needed something because why else would she be here.

"Nothin'." She simply said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, adjusting my shorts.

"Don't you have basketball practice right now?" She asked me.

I nodded.

"I came to watch."

"Really?"

"Yup!" Liza said, as she playfully nudged me in the shoulder. "Let's go, whatcha' waiting for."

I smiled at her and we began heading out to the courts.

"Nice sweater, by the way." I said to her, looking at my sweater that was on her, then looking back at her.

"Thanks! My boyfriend got it at Target for ten dollars. Ain't he classy?" She said, looking down at the sweatshirt, smiling widely.

"Boyfriend?" I asked, a smile slowly creeping up on my face.

"Yes, boyfriend. You're a boy and you're my friend. Duh." She said, pushing me with her elbow.

I stared at the ground, smiling as I did so, "You just called me your boyfriend." I told her, as we kept walking.

"Don't make a big deal about it, David." Liza said to me, giggling.

We both arrived at the basketball courts. We were practicing on the courts outside, the girls had the inside one's today.

Liza stopped me before I went with the team, "Hey, good luck out there." She told me, softly punching my chest, "I'll make sure to not laugh at you too loud."

I rolled my eyes at her last comment, "Yeah, whatever." I told her, laughing. "But thanks, L. Appreciate it." I set my bag down and quickly ran to the team. Alex was also on the team and when I saw him there, I immediately sighed.

Liza sat herself on the bleachers and I felt her stare at me, which made me go crazy inside.

Even though I had Liza's eyes on me the whole entire time, I did everything I would've done if she wasn't there.

As we did a few laps around the court, Alex jogged up to me.

"What do you want?" I asked him with annoyance in my voice.

"Nothing, nothing." He said as he jogged by my side. "Liza's here."

"No shit." I told him. He didn't say anything else but stayed next to me. We finished our laps and everyone took a quick break to get water.

"Listen," Alex said, placing his hand on my shoulder, "I'm sorry for how I talked to you yesterday."

"It's whatever, man." I told him, taking a sip of my water.

"You're my best friend, you know. I just want what's best for you. I don't want you to change because of a girl."

"Who says I'm changing? I'm not." I said.

He sighed, "I didn't accuse you of changing. I mean, like, don't leave all of your friends out because you're too in to a girl."

"Am I doing that now?" I asked him, raising my voice every time I responded to him.

He placed his hand over my mouth, looking around to see if anyone's attention was caught by my voice. He looked back at me, "Shut up." He said, as I pushed his hand away from me, "You don't talk to me as much as you did before."

"We don't have classes together. We sit with different people during lunch. What do you want me to do about it."

Alex sighed yet again, "I'm sorry. " He simply said.

"Like I said before, it's whatever." I told him as I took one last sip of my water. I placed my bottle down and made my way back to the court.

Time passed and we had already accomplished a few drills. A couple times we had to do a few suicides, and if you don't know what that is, that's a drill where you have to run to like three different points. And every time we did 'em I would always hear Liza's obnoxious, "Run, David, fun!" comments.

"Alright, David, you're playing Center!" The coach yelled.

I nodded as I made my way to Center. I turned around to see Liza sitting there, with a bright smile on her face.

"David, I said Center." Coach said again. I kept looking at Liza, smiling brightly back at her.

"David!" The coach yelled. I turned around immediately, "Huh?"

"Center."

"I am at Cent-" I said, looking down to see that I was at Power Forward. "Oh."

I quickly jogged to Center and once I got there, I turned around to face Liza again. She was laughing at me, and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"David. Left Center." The coach said, again.

I turned around to face coach, looking down. I jogged over to left Center, Liza still laughing. "Sorry, Coach."

It was getting quite late. The streetlights were on and it was getting chilly out. During water break, Liza came up to me and said, "Hey, Dave."

I wiped the sweat off my forehead, as I took a sip, "Hm?" I hummed.

"It's getting late. I'm gonna' head home now."

I nodded, "Alright. That's cool. Thanks for staying to watch." I said.

"My pleasure." She told me with a smile. "By the way, I folded up your sweater and stuffed it in your bag. And I left you a note, too."

"Okay." I said simply. "Hug?" I asked, with my arms open.

"No, David! You're all sweaty."

"Aw, come here!" I said pulling her close and hugging her as tight as I could, purposely.

"Ew." She said during the hug. She began giggling, and we eventually both pulled away.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I said to her lastly.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Liza said back before she walked off.

I stared her as she walked away for awhile. "David!" Alex shouted, "Hurry up!"

I placed my bottle down quickly and jogged over to the team. We ended practice with a quick scrimmage and our normal chant.

Before leaving, I grabbed my bag. Everyone exchanged goodbye's and made their way home.

As I exited the gates, I immediately searched for the note Liza left. I found it eventually and began reading it on the way home.

writing this in your pink pen because it writes so good. anyways here's your sweater! it kinda hurt for me to give it back lol. its super soft and comfy. it also smells really good. smells like you. it makes me miss you whenever i'm not with you, haha. you're giving it back to me though tomorrow so be prepared when i ask you again. you're pretty good at basketball, i must admit. even though you're literally dumb, lmao. thanks for letting me use your pen and letting me wear your sweater, really appreciate it. really appreciate you. love ya, d! :)

I smiled during it all. I folded it up and held it in my hand the whole walk home.

I got home and headed towards my room. I kicked my shoes off and placed my bag down. I reread the note maybe, like, five more times.

I got out the sweater that was folded neatly in my bag, smiling to myself as I looked at it.

As I got ready for bed, I made sure to get ahold of the grey sweatshirt. I jumped into bed and cuddled with it throughout the night. Her scent was slowly rubbing off on the sweater, which helped me sleep.