Chapter 6.

David's POV.

Second period was just about to start. Everyone was hurrying past each other trying to get to their classes on time. I headed to my History class, stumbling across Alex.

"Hey, Dave," Alex said.

"Hey, man," I said back.

"Meet me at the courtyard after school." He told me, and before I could even make another comment Alex was already gone and lost with the crowd of hurrying teenagers.

I raised an eyebrow, wondering what that was all about. And then my train of thought got lost when I heard a soft, "Hey, ugly."

I turned around and it was Liza. I smiled immediately and poked her stomach, "Oh. Hey, punk." I said to her, laughing quietly to myself afterwards.

"How is your morning so far?" She asked me.

"Eh. It's alright, I guess."

"Good."

And, again, before I could even make another comment, she was lost in the crowd.

I took time to search around to find her. Maybe a little bit too much time spent.

"Go!" A kid from behind shouted out at me.

I quickly began walking with the others into the classroom, still looking around for Liza at the same time.

"Woah, bud. Watch out," The history teacher, Mr. Hurwitz, told me. It appeared that I accidentally bumped into him while trying to find Liza.

"Oh, sorry, sorry." I said.

I took a step into the classroom and sighed, heading to my seat.

-

It was finally the last period. We were minutes away from being released. Today went by ridiculously slow.

We finally all got released and I headed to the courtyard Alex told me to meet him at. I waited for him. Not so long after I arrived, Alex came.

"Hey," Alex said.

"Hey," I said back to him.

"So, I heard that you stayed after school with Liza until like, what, nine at night."

"Yeah? And?" I asked.

"You stayed with a girl who's already in a relationship with someone," He said, giving me a look.

"Dude, who cares?"

"You like her, huh?" Alex asked.

"No, Alex, I don't. I don't have a crush on her. Stop worrying about it. Jesus Christ, dude. Can't everyone, like, back off for a second?" I told him, shaking my head and eventually walking off.

Alex sighed and jogged up to me, "David,"

I kept walking. I didn't want to talk about Liza, her boyfriend, or what happened yesterday.

"David," Alex said again. He grabbed me from my arm to stop me. He turned me around and said, "Look. I'm just trying to look out for you."

"I don't need anyone to look out for me. I can do that myself, dude."

"No. David, you're my best friend, okay. Like, I was the first person you talked to ever since you moved here. I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't want Victor to hurt you. I don't want Liza to hurt you."

I listened to him, staring down at my feet.

"Well. Don't. I appreciate it, dude, but don't. I'm my own person and if I do end up getting hurt; that's on me." I said to him as I got out of his grip, "See you on Monday." I said finally, walking off.

-