Who's Red John?

"I was being set up obviously. The only person who'd have the guts to orchestrate that is the serial killer Red John." Jane's teeth clench near the end.

I see Lisbon stop herself from the automatic reaction of reaching out to comfort him.

I pull her off to the side quickly "What's his deal with Red John?"

"Red John-"

I'm pulled away before she can finish by Jane.

"This one's with me. You guys split up and do whatever."

"What are you doing?" Lisbon calls out.

"You'll see!"

"Seriously though," I say as we get into his beat up blue car "what are we doing?"

"You'll know when you know."

"Either tell me what we're doing or tell me about Red John."

His grip on the steering wheel tightens and then he quickly relaxes, trying to hide his unease.

"I used to be a phycic you know." he says lightly "I used my powers of perception as a tool to fool people into giving me their money, not my brightest moment. When I heard about the first big serial killer we'd had in years, I used it as publicity. I went on a talk show and pretended to have some kind of connection to him to impress people. I told them all that he was harmless, a bully really, just hiding behind his mean façade to earn people's attention. Little did I know he was a natural born killer. He kills just for the enjoyment of it. He finds everyday life boring and wants to add a little... spark into it."

I look at him intently.

"I went home that day to find it was different. There was some music playing in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I found a note outside the door, signed from Red John. When I finally found the courage to go in, I found my wife and eight year old daughter, murdered."

My lips part slightly and I whisper "I am so sorry!"

"That's what pushed me to out myself as a fake. I joined up with Lisbon and the others and have been with them ever since. I'm going to be the one to catch him."

I don't like the edge his voice has. It sends chills up my spine. I have a feeling that when he finds him he'll get the same reception as Haley's killer got from Hotch.

"I hope he gets what he deserves." I tell him, surprising myself with the fact that I mean it.

He smiles "I knew there was something about you I liked. You'd do whatever it takes to catch a killer, wouldn't you?"

"Almost anything."

"Good. That's what I do. A lot of people don't understand my methods, and you probably won't either, but all I do is to catch the killer. Just know that okay?"

I nod "But what if someone on the team gets hurt while you're using these special methods?"

"I wouldn't let that happen. Above all else you have to trust me. I won't let you get hurt anymore than you already are, okay?"

"Okay, I trust you." I tell him honestly "Wait! What do you mean more than I already am?"

"There's something wrong with your foot. I notice things, remember?"

"You won't-"

"Sell you out?"

I nod.

"No. I'm good at keeping secrets. I kept Van Pelt and Rigsby's relationship secret after all."

"They were dating?" I exclaim with surprise.

"Yep. Can you keep a secret?"

I nod again.

"They still are."

"What about your boss?"

"He doesn't know and what I don't tell Lisbon won't hurt her."

"So what's with you and Lisbon?"

"Hey look, we're here!"

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."

Unknown