The accidental discovery

Morgan's cell phone cuts the silence.

"Hey, Hotch?... yep we're ready in the back."

He hangs up "Come on, we're going in."

I grab two bullet proof vests from the back of the car and this time, take out my gun from the holster hidden under my shirt.

"You beat pretty boy when it comes to hiding your weapon." Morgan comments right before we step in.

"Clear!" I hear Rossi yell from the front right.

"Clear!" I hear Spence yell from more leftward.

"Clear!" I yell from the kitchen right near the back door.

"All good here!" Morgan puts in as we reach the bedroom.

We meet in the middle hallway that connects the whole house together.

"Let's check the basement." Hotch suggests.

I start leading the way since I'm in front of the rest but slow down when I see Spence glaring at me, remebering what I had promised him earlier.

"It feels fine." I whisper to him, already starting to speed up again.

He grabs my arm "It's the adrenaline. Once this is over it'll hurt worse than before if you don't slow down."

"Fine." I mumble, falling to the back of the group.

"There's nothing here." JJ, who was in the lead, observes aloud.

"So she could be anywhere. She could even be hunting her next victim by now!" Morgan says angrilly "I knew we should've come in sooner. She might've seen us and made a run for it in the opposite direction for all we know."

We start walking out, too exhausted to argue with him.

I'm walking normally one minute but the next I see the floor quickly coming towards my face.

Just as quick as I realise what's about to happen, it changes and I find myself standing back upright with Spence holding one arm and Morgan holding the other.

"Thanks." I mumble with a blush.

"What on earth did you trip over?" Morgan wonders.

I see Spence looking around, trying to help me find an escuse to help me cover up my fracture. He needn't have worried though because I actually did trip over something.

I drop onto my knee's, searching the floor for the bump I'm positive I felt.

"Erica, what are you doing?" Morgan asks.

"Everybody help me, I tripped over something. We have to find it."

"What is it?" Morgan questions again.

"Just look!"

Morgan finally starts helping, falling to his knees beside Spence who had instantly dropped to the floor to help, he had caught onto where I was going with this.

"I found it." Hotch tells the rest of us from almost a foot behind.

"What is it?" JJ repeats Morgan's question.

"It's a trapdoor." answers Rossi, already at Hotch's side.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery."

James Joyce