cold ❀ seven

❀🌨❀

[年齢 13/13]

tyler's favorite part about winter had to be that josh changed his hair back to light blue.

"josh! your hair!" tyler squealed, leaning on the railing like he's done many years now.

"i know," he replied, running his fingers through his blue curls, "i dyed it back yesterday."

"it looks so pretty, joshie," tyler said, pink tinted cheeks and steam escaping his mouth every time he spoke.

"thank you," he said, staring back at tyler.

even though tyler is starting to grow up, joshua still thinks that tyler was as cute as he was when they first met. he doesn't look that much different, just bigger. older. what you would expect from a tiny seventh grader who hasn't grown up yet.

"you know," josh spoke after a brief moment of comfortable silence, "our parents don't like each other. i found out that mine want to move.." he said timidly.

tyler's heart instantly sank, curling his toes and hesitating before josh even finished.

"w-what? when? why?" he said with panic through his tone.

"not until next year, that is if we even move at all. they aren't sure yet," he said, not looking up to tyler.

joshua has known this information for a while, during the summer his parents were talking about it. he decided to keep it from tyler until he seemed ready, he was too fragile and hesitant back then to be able to handle it.

but he wasn't even ready now. josh just wanted to tell him before it was too late.

it was late december. who knows how far into next year they were going to be gone.

"tyler!" josh heard from the other side of the street through the door. tyler's eyes were watery as he didn't respond to the call.

"i'll miss you, joshie."

"tyler!"

tyler was quick to his feet when he saw a light flicker on behind the door, waving a quick goodbye and a sad smile to joshua.

he did the same and watched as the little ethereal boy walked through his sliding glass door, closing the blinds behind it.

"tyler, you've been acting different," brendon said, kicking his legs softly against the snow as he sat on the swing. "what's the matter?"

"nothing."

"tyler, i've known you my whole life. you haven't been this sad since you watched my girl."

"that was a sad movie! you can't blame me for that!"

"damn it! tyler!"

"don't curse!"

"tyler what's wrong? is it that dun, kid?"

"no, brendon. i'm just tired today. mrs. william's homework killed me."

"you have two weeks to finish that!"

"i wanted to finish it early!"

"jesus, tyler, could you stop arguing and yelling at me and just tell me what is making you sad?"

tyler stared at the ground, tears slowly building up in his eyes before one rolled down his cheek, bringing warmth to his freezing cheeks.

brendon gripped the chains tighter, not really knowing how to deal with a situation like this. tyler didn't cry a lot.

small whines left his mouth as he buried his face in his hands, trying to cover up his sorrow.

"was it josh..?"

tyler only replied with a simple no.

it was josh.

"tyler, have you been crying?" his mother asked the small boy, cupping his cheeks to make him look at her. his nose was pink, his eyes the same shade, small and faded tear marks on his cheeks that were made from the mix of cold weather and hot tears.

"no, momma," he said, averting his eyes away from her.

"awe," she said, a sad smile building on her face as she rubbed her thumbs against his cheeks. "you need to talk about it?"

tyler took a moment to respond, "..no."

"hey, guess what?" she said, "dad's coming home today!"

tyler's father has been on a business trip for at least two months. he really missed his dad.

"daddy!" he squealed a smile returning to his face.

"he'll be home in an hour, now i gotta go get dinner ready," she said smiling, patting her son's shoulder like a mom would and turning to go to the kitchen.

tyler's smile didn't fade until he looked outside the screen door of the patio, seeing a cool blue tuft of hair.

instead of going outside, he just went upstairs.

❀🌨❀