94. Ex-Friends 'Til the End

"Patrick." Your soft voice stopped him as he headed for the door of your bedroom. "Where are you going? Come back to sleep." 

Patrick turned towards you.  "I have an early meeting out of town." 

You looked at your alarm clock. It read five in the morning. "It's still dark outside." 

"I know, I just need to write something down," he placated you. 

You sighed and turned the lamp on. "Why do you write like you're running out of time?" 

"Shh." Patrick walked towards you slowly. 

"Come back to bed, that would be enough." 

"I'll be back before you know I'm gone." Patrick cupped your cheek, smiling gently, a serious look in his eyes. 

"Come back to sleep," you insisted, covering his hand with yours. "Please." 

Patrick looked away. "This meeting's at dawn." 

"Well, I'm not going back to sleep." You crossed your arms over your chest. 

He paused. "Wait- what?" 

"I'm going with you." You got out of bed. 

Patrick shook his head. "N-no, (Y/N), you don't have to do that." 

"Are you going to duel with Pete?" You raised your eyebrows. "Don't lie to me," you said, before he could answer. 

Patrick's eyes widened. "Meagan called me. She told me you and Pete had some huge fight yesterday. I figured since you both have been obsessed with Hamilton lately, that was your solution." 

"Yes, Pete and I are dueling; no, you can't have come with me," Patrick answered. 

You put a hand on your hip. "Do you have a second?" 

"No b-" 

"Then I'm coming with you." 

Patrick sighed, seeing the fiery perseverance in your eyes. "Fine, but we're leaving in ten minutes. If you aren't ready, I'm leaving you." 

You grabbed one of his leather jackets. "I'm ready." 

"On a completely unrelated note," Patrick asked as you two headed for the door. "Have you seen my contacts, because if not, I'm gonna have to wear these." He pointed to his glasses. 

"Nope, we'll order some more tomorrow." You shrugged.  "It's not like anyone ever got shot for wearing glasses." 

~~~~~~

The morning was cold and foggy; the perfect ominous setting for a duel. 

You stood shivering beside Patrick, waiting for Pete, Andy and Joe to arrive. 

"Are you sure you don't want to back out? It's still not too late to leave." You rubbed your freezing hands together. 

Patrick clenched his jaw, staring straight ahead. "No, this is the only way this problem will get resolved." 

"This is stupid, you two are best friends." You rolled your eyes. 

Patrick stuffed his hands into his pockets. "So? That didn't stop Hamilton and Burr." 

"Trust me honey, there was some deep set resentment from the very beginning. It takes more than one petty argument for you to want to kill your best friend." You shivered. "What even happened between you two anyways?" 

Patrick's shoulders tensed. "It's not important, here they come." 

Pete led the way onto the field, Andy and Joe trailed behind him, carrying cases. "Patrick," he called.