84. Something I Need

Andy Hurley:

Disclaimer, I'm sure Andy's dad was a great guy. But in this preference, he was not. 

"I had a dream the other night. About how we only get one life. Woke me up right after two. Stayed awake and stared at you. So I wouldn't lose my mind.

Andy knew he was dreaming. For one thing, his dad was still alive. For another thing, he was back in the old home from his childhood.

Andy's dad looked just like he remembered all those years ago. Pot-bellied slob, stained t-shirt and sipping from an ice cold beer bottle.

"You're never going to get away from me," his dad grinned. "No matter what you do to try and forget me, you never will."

Andy clenched his jaw, staring down the ghost from his past.

"Do you know why?" Andy's dad asked before finishing his beer. "Because we share the same DNA. I'm apart of you. You're just like me."

"I am not like you!" Andy shouted. "I will never be like you!" He slammed his hands down on the kitchen table.

His dad watched with a satisfied smirk. "Same temper," he noted. "I always liked to think we got it from our Irish ancestors."

"You walked out on us, after years of abuse. And after that, you scared mom into funding your habits for years!" Andy yelled. "And finally, when I thought I couldn't be free from you anymore, you died. And you got what was coming to you."

Andy's dad exhaled, the grin still on his face. "Boy, I hope your kids have a better relationship with you, than you do with me."

"They do, because I'm there for them. I love them, I care for them. I don't hit them or their mother!" Andy said through gritted teeth. "They respect me, not out of fear. But because they love me."

His dad tossed his beer bottle aside. "We'll see how long that lasts."

Andy jolted awake. He was aware of several things at once; he was back in his own bed, and you were curled up in his arms.

"Oh god," Andy whispered to himself and ran a hand over his face. "It was just a dream."

He stared down at you; you slept peacefully, despite the haunting dream he had just awakened from.

Andy hugged you tighter to his body, causing you to make a cute noise of contentment and cuddle closer to his side.

"I promise to never hurt you," Andy whispered. "I promise never to demand respect out of fear. I would never lay a hand on you with intent to cause you pain. Though sometimes my words may leave scars, I would never intentionally say anything to make you cry."

He watched your shoulders move slightly as you continued to breathe deeply.

"Sometimes I get so worried, like everything I do will have a negative effect on you and the kids. I always worry that I'm going to become a bad father; that one day I'll wake up and you guys will be gone," Andy mumbled, stroking your cheek with his thumb. "That's my biggest fear," he whispered.

"That won't happen Andy," you whispered sleepily. "I know you get scared that one day you'll end up like your dad. But I know you, and I know you would never do that. I trust you." You looked up at him, your eyes half opened.

Andy kissed your forehead. "You keep me sane."

"Mmm, well someone has to do it." You wrapped your arms around his waist. "I love you."

"I love you too." Andy tucked a lock of your hair behind your ear.

Joe Trohman:

"Last night I think I drank too much, call it our temporary crutch"