Chapter 37 The Last Dance

I sat on one of the chairs around the tables with Sharon. I was pissed off… precisely, at Nick. I kept looking at Alex and Winnie. They danced so flawlessly. They were like flying in a cloud, both of them smiling. My hands clenched.

                Why did I fail like that? How could I have let this happen? Why did I say no?

                I got jealous every time I turned to them, but I had to see and watch them. I wanted Alex to go away from her. I kept imagining and wishing it. I kept crossing my fingers, but it isn’t working! Alex wasn’t stopping! They were dancing for like three songs! I was really pissed that I was biting my lips.

                “I have a pretty good idea of what you’re thinking right now, Liyah.” Sharon said, trying to get me to stop thinking about it. “It just occurred.”

                “No, I let it occur.” I hated myself. “Why did I let this happen?”

                “You know, you still got the whole night to dance with him.” she stated, and I looked at her.

                “Still, I lost. I considered that as a showdown, and I lost. I thought I had him.” I faced down.

                “There’s always the last dance, Liyah.” She said. “The last dance is actually the most important one. My mom told me it’s the most important. Mom fell in love with the man she had her last dance with… Dad.”

                “Is that true?” I faced Sharon, looking all worn out. “To be honest, I don’t know much about dancing. All I know is I want to dance with Alex.”

                “Then, have him as the last dance!” Sharon yelled cheerfully. I realized she was right. There was no reason to give up too early. I smiled. Even when I was so bummed about it all, I smiled. Sharon’s got my game on. She’s really amazing. Cancer patients can really get inspiring as heck. “It’s never over until it’s over! You’re a fighter, right, Liyah?”

                “I’m a fighter.” I told her, and she stood.

                “Say it louder!” Sharon clenched her hands and raised them up to her neck. Sharon’s loudness didn’t really matter. The music and the noise of the crowd made our conversation more private. “Say I’m a fighter!”

                “I’m a fighter!” I stood up with her and raised my arms, too.

                “There.” She calmed down. It was really cute of her. “How about we have some fun? It’s why we came, right? To have some fun?”

                “Yeah.” I shed a small tear and quickly wiped it off.

                Suddenly, a guy came in front of me so suddenly and offered me his hand. I looked, and it was Harvey Tan that was offering his hand and bowing. Sharon and I were really surprised.

                “Is it okay if I take this lovely lady to dance?” Harvey said with some weird accent. He rose, still offering his hand.

                “Sure, but where’s Laura?” I took his hand. Harvey looked pretty good that night. I mean, he matched with his suit very well. Laura must’ve been horny.

                “Oh, she can’t be my dance forever, right?” he laughed. “What matters is that she’s my last dance.”

                “Oh.” I was astonished. Maybe what Sharon said was right. The last dance was the one that matters. “Okay. Let’s go.”