Chapter 4 The Baby Doll Project

I didn’t see Alexander and Winnie come back inside the room until the class started. Everyone had just settled in, and the teacher had arrived. My mind was full of questions. I didn’t know if I was just confused or actually jealous about them. I didn’t even know why I felt like that. What was it with Alexander? Why was he such an impact to me when everyone else didn’t seem so important? My confusions left me unfocused with the class.

            “Rise and shine, children!” the jolly teacher of SexEd, Mrs. Cornett, exclaimed with excitement again. She just wouldn’t admit that she wanted to have sex. I could see that all over her face. “It’s time for sex education!”

            She started talking stuff about our activities for that day as I turned my neck around and tried to see Alexander; I saw him. He was in the back seats with Winnie and the others. I was pretty sure he was talking to her and not paying attention to Mrs. Cornett. They were laughing, having a good time. I was never that close to someone I’ve just met. I thought I’d do the same so I wouldn’t seem like a total loser to them, yet that would be so naïve. I just tried my best to pay attention to the class.

            “Okay!” Mrs. Cornett seemed to have finished discussing the activities for today. I didn’t even hear what she said. “Grab a partner, and let’s pick up your offspring upstairs!”

            I didn’t understand what she meant by ‘offspring’. That was because I didn’t listen. Everyone stood up and took their stuff, so I did the same. I turned to see Alexander again, but she was with Winnie as they talked to a bunch of other people in class. I guess they were asking what Mrs. Cornett had told us. And I’m alarmingly surprised with the number of people Alexander has made friends with for his first day.

            The other students started walking out of the room. I looked as they walked out of the room. I still didn’t know what to do.

            “Hey!” I called the guy who sat next to me. I didn’t know his name; I just needed to know what the heck Mrs. Cornett wanted us to do. I got the guy’s attention as he stopped walking.

            “Yeah?” he made sure to himself that he was the one I was calling.

            “Sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.” I tried to make a joke out of it. Somehow, I wanted Alexander and Winnie to see that I can perfectly make friends on my own. “Can you explain to me what Mrs. Cornett wanted us to do?”

            “Oh!” he chuckled. “She assigned us a project to take care of a baby doll up to next week. The baby doll probably has weird shit to it.”

            “Oh.” Of course, I wanted to thank him. I reached out my hand to him. “Thanks! I’m Liyah Loveworth, by the way.”

            “I’m Steve Jobbs.” He shook my hand. “And I know you’re Liyah.”

            “Really?” I asked. Was I popular? “Why’s that?”

            “You’re the girl who beat up that bully a few years ago.” He stated. Oh my God, was I famous because of that? I felt proud and ashamed at the same time.

            “Yeah.”

            “Some guys have been quite avoiding you. They fear you in a way.”

            “Really?” I chuckled. My reputation didn’t seem to have vanished over the years. “I’m not that much of a lunatic anymore.”

            “Yeah. I can tell.” He smiled. “I didn’t actually expect you to be nice. I thought you’d be like hateful all the time. But now you just seem like a girl with a huge sense of justice.”