Chapter 15 Sparkling Star

The night was cold again as I made my way outside to their pool. I was neutral, but a little tint of sadness can be seen on my face. I limped my way to the folding beds and sat. It was dark and cold there. No one was sitting or hanging out there probably because it chilled. I could see the cold fog every time I exhaled. I rubbed my hands together as I lifted my legs on the bed. Those didn’t really matter. I was so bummed about what I had just gone through. I had expected something, and it always came with disappointment. I blinked my eyes repeatedly and dramatically, felt every drip of tear run down my face. I buried myself with further disappointment and despair.

                Suddenly, I saw a shadow coming up at me from behind. I’d usually get on my guard, but I was feeling weak, so I didn’t care. I just heard a guy walk beside me and sit on the folding bed beside me. I looked and saw that it was Nick. He was holding two soda cans and handed me one.

                “Hey,” he said as he waited for me to take the cup. “Are you okay?”

                “No, thanks.” I looked at the soda can and back at him. “It’s already cold.”

                “You’re cold?” he repeated. As a reaction, he placed the two cups down on his folding bed. I didn’t take soon notice that he stripped off the sweater I gave him and stood up in front of me. Then, he gently covered my body with that sweater. I’ve got to admit that made the chills go away.

                “Thanks.” I wore the sweater as he went back to sit.

                “So, what’s up?” he asked again.

                “Nothing.” I was sure I didn’t want Nick to find out anything about my feelings for Alex nor was I in the mood the brush him off.

                “Liyah. I can tell when there’s something bothering you.”

                “Yeah.” I thought there was no point in hiding it to Nick. After all, he knows me so well that I can no longer drive him away. “Maybe you shouldn’t know about it.”

                “You like that Sander guy don’t you?” he suddenly asked. Our eyes glued to each other, but I was silenced.

                “Well,” it took me seconds to continue, but I did, “It’s not really anything. I don’t know.”

                “I can tell you more than like him.” Nick chuckled and shook his head. “I see how you look at him. You never looked at me that way, and I can tell you look at Sander specially.”

                “Don’t judge me.” I shook my head away from Nick, trying to deny everything, but I couldn’t hold off the water on my eyes. It was good that the tears that ran down quickly dried off or Nick could have seen that.

                “That’s just how I see it.”

                “Well, you’re seeing it wrong.” I faced him immediately.

                “Am I?” he got a little serious and more interrogative. I faced away again because I couldn’t look straight at him. He seemed to have noticed, “Liyah, don’t be afraid to tell me about it. It’s just like how you talk about things with Laura and Sandy. It’s like how share your problems with your mom. I’m also here for you as your friend. You should start making use of me.”

                “I don’t need any help.” I insisted.

                “After seeing you see Sander and Winnie hug like that, I think you’re feeling really bad right now especially if you more than like him.”