Chapter 34 A New Friend

That Friday night couldn’t come faster than it came. I was excited and nervous at the same time. The dance was to start at six o’clock in the evening, but I was already prepared by 3 o’clock. I was becoming a little paranoid. My hands were shaking the whole time.

                By about four o’clock, Laura arrived at our house. She brought in the dress that I asked to borrow so I could lend one for Sharon. With all the expenses on her treatments, she told me she didn’t really have a dress, so I decided to get her one.       Laura settled in the house while I prepared the stuff. We were already dressed and all. Laura was on that green dress. She looked really good with those high heels, but I bet she was dress like that to taunt Harvey to have sex with her… barely unusual though. I wore my jacket because it was deadly cold outside. Even Laura was on her jacket.

                “Thanks for bringing the dress.” I gently hung the dress on my arm. It was a white and long dress. It was like Snow White was going to wear it.

                “No problemo.” She slanged as she sat crossed legs on the couch, neglecting the fact that I could see her underwear. “What was it for anyway? Your dress is fine.”

                “It’s not for me.” I waved her to come to me as I walked outside.

                “What? We’re leaving already?”

                “Yeah. I’ve still got to lend this to Sharon.” I went out down to the parking lot. It was snowing a bit, but the road wasn’t really that bad. It was just cold.

                “Oh, her. I’ve heard that she’s in the hospital for some months now.” She followed me downstairs as I opened the trunk of the car and gently placed it in. I closed the trunk and walked to the driver’s seat.

                “Yeah. She’s been having treatments lately. I hope she’ll get better soon.” I went in the car and started the engine. I noticed that Laura wasn’t getting in the car yet. “Hey. You waiting to be a snowman or what?”

                “Nothing. It just seems like you have a new best friend.” She kidded that she was sulking as she walked to the other side and stepped in the car. “I mean, you even work with that Sander guy just to help her.”

                “Sharon’s just in a bad position. I just felt like I needed to do something.”

                “Wow.” She laughed. “That helpful version of you is new. Is that what happens when you’re in love with Sander.”

                “Shut up.” I said, and she laughed at me because I looked humiliated.

                Laura kept on teasing me about Alex the whole time. I just kept telling her to shut up, but that only made it worse. She really got my head burning even when it was snowing. She still continued to piss me off which made me drive even faster so we could get there quicker.

                “What about Nick?” she suddenly changed the subject exactly when we arrived at the hospital.

                “I didn’t really know if he was coming or not. Anyways, he didn’t say he was going to come like you did.”

                “Maybe he’s all jealous about you and Sander.” She teased again. “I mean, they’re both good-looking, but I would suggest the guy that actually likes you.”

                “What are you implying?” I was starting to be annoyed by her “playing cupid” thing.

                “Look. Sander is one of the cool guys.” She started. “Nick is one of the simple guys that don’t even go to parties as much as the cool ones. What I’m saying is Nick’s more of in your league than Sander.”

                “Fuck you.” I said. “Are you underestimating my flirting powers? I can make Alex fall in love with me in just one night.”

                “So, you do like him!” she teased as she pointed a finger at me. Oh dear, she got me. I turned red immediately, and she laughed even harder. “Oh my God. And you actually said that you can make him fall in love with you in one night. Are you talking about having sex with him?”

                “Oh shut up!” I scoffed and went out of the car. I proceeded to the hospital on my own.

                “Hey, Liyah!” Laura followed me to the hospital. She chased me. “Hey, don’t be so hot-headed.”

                “Would you please just stop talking about it?” I told her as I walked to Sharon’s room. It wasn’t really that far.

                “Sorry, Liyah.” She said, but she continued laughing as she followed me. She followed me in the hospital room when I came in for Sharon. When I got there, Sharon was awake, waiting for me. She smiled when she saw us.

                “Hey.” I said.

                “Hi, Liyah.” She sounded very relieved.

                “I’m Laura Nicholls. Feel free to call me Laura.” Laura walked to her and offered a hand shake.

                “Hi.” At first, Sharon doubted shaking hands with her. Sharon gazed at me first, and I just smiled at her. Sharon smiled, too, and shook Laura’s hand. “I’m Sharon Stone. Call me Sharon.”

                “You got another friend now.” I told her, and she continued to smile.

                “It’s nice to meet you!” Sharon added. It was very bright when she said that. Suddenly, it felt warm. Sharon had tried hard to have friends, and she deserved to have friends.

                Sharon, Laura, and I drove our way to the school. Laura was very enthusiastic and friendly to Sharon though I warned Laura from going to the erotic level of talking. I let them talk for the whole ride. I wanted to at least add another one friend to Sharon. I really thought she needed it. As we were on the way, I listened to everything they said. Laura was a really good talker. She knew what casual talking really is. Sharon was entertained a lot by it. I think it was the first time Sharon got to talk like that.

                The whole time, I smiled. I felt happy… for Sharon. I wanted things to be happy for her. It felt like a miracle. It was something like her dream. Then, I had the idea. I wanted to help her remember the fun and happy times. Even through the hardest times, I wanted to show Sharon that there was still hope… that there was still something to living. I wanted to save her… yes, like how Alex saved me. He saved me from hating this world. He showed me the right way to feel. He gave me hope and the will to continue living.

                There’s more to living because I’ve got Alex to go through it all.