Chapter 8 Can't Stop

The next morning that came was brilliant! I was feeling all well. My class was eight o’clock, which was the earliest, but I had the motivation to go to school early. As soon as I got conscious, one face came to my mind: Alexander. That pushed me to move quickly, eat early, and drive really fast. For the first time, I actually wanted to go to school. After hearing what mom told me the night before, I wanted to see Alexander as soon as possible. I wanted to be around him again. I didn’t know what that feeling was exactly. I thought money was supposed to make everyone happy. So, why was that feeling taking over me like I wanted to just fly on the horizon? Were the ideas I have learned for the past eighteen years not the answers I actually needed?

                I didn’t know. Mom noticed my very rare enthusiasm, so she lent me her car again. I got to school just six minutes before my class actually starts; usually, I’d be late for half an hour. I walked really fast in the campus, up to the room. I went with the hallway traffic, and I didn’t care. The bullies that usually hit the books I always brought so I’d drop them; they did again. They teased me along the way again. But I didn’t have time for that. I picked up the books as they laughed at me. I didn’t show them any expression –no happiness because of my excitement and no anger about the bullies. I tried my best to get to class as early as fast as I could.

                As I was walking on the hallway to the room, I noticed Nick had passed by me, and he stopped. I had the impression that he was going to call my attention, but I just continued on my way to the room. I tried to walk faster so he wouldn’t catch up to me.

                “Liyah!” he called.

                 I tried to walk faster so I could have had a reason to ignore him, but he tried to scoot in through the crowd. Yes, I saw the shadow from the back of my sight. I just hurried to the room. Nick stopped rushing to me as soon as he realized I was in a hurry, too. I got to the classroom, but when I had a glimpse of Alexander talking with someone inside as his back was towards me, I panicked and walked back right away. I didn’t know why. He had not seen me, so I felt like I needed an entrance that would catch his attention. I rushed and hid beside the door outside the room. That was when I realized that I forgot that Nick was behind me. Nick stopped, too, and looked at me weird. I felt embarrassed, and my stomach felt incredibly warm again. I was inclining my back on the wall and looked like there was obviously something that kept me from coming inside the room.

                “Are you okay?” Nick asked. That was when Nick realized I was blushing. “Why is your face all red?”

                “What?” I panicked. My eyes widened. I held my cheek with my palm. “My face isn’t turning red!”

                “Are you blushing?” his tone wasn’t really like how Laura always says it. It wasn’t a teasing tone and definitely not pleased.

                “I am not blushing!” I completely denied. Of course, I wasn’t pleased that he saw that, too.

                Nick leaned and took a look at the room, and I didn’t know what he saw, but when he stood normally again, he gave me a concerned look. I was sure he wouldn’t be happy if he knew I had a crush on Alexander. Nick just stared at me, trying to see my reaction. I couldn’t do anything. I would have seemed a lot guiltier if I denied it.

                “What?!” I was driving him away. He took that hint and just walked away. He walked differently then, like he had something heavy in his mind.

                Damn, that was a problem to me, too! I didn’t want Nick to think I had a crush on Alexander! I didn’t know what to do. I felt completely glued to the wall with a thousand of thoughts in my mind. People who were crossing past me were totally laughing of my reaction and giving me a really weird look. I was experiencing the horrors of that situation when I didn’t realize that Alexander was peeking at me from the door.