Chapter 9 Encounter

I was shocked the whole class. I wasn’t able to think well until the bell rang. Everyone started taking off from their chairs and started to leave. Of course, the teacher said her reminders, but I didn’t have the right mind that time to actually remember what she said. I was still sitting on my chair, glued even when everyone was heading out. I couldn’t move or turn around. I didn’t want to see Alexander’s reaction or feedback or anything. I felt like I screwed up with something big. Everyone passed their paper works on the teacher’s desk and headed out. When they were all gone except for the teacher, she gave me a weird look.

                “Can I help you with something, Liyah?” she asked probably because I looked startled, staring down.

                “What?” I gave my attention back to her. I honestly didn’t hear what she said. “I’m sorry?”

                “What are you so stoned about?” she laughed. I felt nervous. I didn’t want her to figure out about my feelings for Alexander. I wanted no one to find out, not even mom.

                “Really? I was?”

                “Yeah.” She said. “You were like that the whole period.”

                “Oh.” It was good that she didn’t call to my attention during the class. Alexander could have found it weird. I just thought that I’d leave since I didn’t really have any business and since Alexander had already left. I grabbed my bag and walked on the way out. “Sorry. I’ll just be on my way.”

                “Not passing your paper?” she asked me before I could reach out the room.

                “I’m sorry. I wasn’t able to.” I slowly turned around back to her.

                “Then, have it passed on my desk before eight o’clock tomorrow. You’ll need to pass that to fill up your portfolio.”

                “Okay.” I smiled and went on walking. It was convenient that my teacher was graceful. I could have lost one output for our portfolio which might have endangered my grades. Of course, I wanted to make mom proud. I didn’t want her to think that I was wasting all her efforts of working with two jobs. I struggled on my way to the next class which was Algebra. Ugh, I really hated Math. It didn’t get me anywhere interesting, but it was required, so…

                Class was just about to begin when I got there. By the way, Nick and I were classmates in Algebra. He was actually quite good in Math, not really the best in class but still a lot better than me. When I got to class, I was surprised. I found Alexander talking with some bunch of guys, making new friends probably. I was once again stoned. Nick was sitting on his chair, waiting for me, when he saw me get struck by seeing Alexander. When I turned to see Nick, he was looking at Alexander and turned back at me like he figured something out. I didn’t know what look to give him or what to say. He probably figured that I had something for Alexander, and that wasn’t really good news for both of us. He gave me that convinced look, and I didn’t know what to do. My eyes rolled to Alexander again. I couldn’t help it. It was like I wanted to stare at him every second! Then, I forced myself to look back at Nick. He really looked convinced. I thought there was a really great chance that he could have noticed that. I thought that I should change his mind.

                “What?” I wanted to erase that out of his mind.

                “Nothing.” Nick shook his head as I walked to him.

                “What’s with that look?” I placed my bag on a chair beside him and sat.

                “What look?”