Chapter 28 Tears On White Sheaths

Alex and I were lying in wait in the hospital where Sharon was brought. Apparently, her mom was already dead, taken by the sheriffs and the ambulance people. Sharon was unconscious. She passed out after crying. Alex and I didn’t know what to do.

                There we were, sitting on the benches in the hospital halls. We were waiting in silence, praying that she’ll be all right. Alex had gone really quiet and serious. I was, too, but I just didn’t want to see Alex like that. I wanted to see his smile again.

                “Alex.” I said from beside him, and he looked at me. “It’s gonna be all right.”

                Alex just stared at me with his worried face. Then, he slowly laid his forehead on my shoulders, looking down, and he reached for my hand and held. I admit, I found that a little romantic, but that wasn’t really the mood back then. I could feel the burden he had on his head with the weight. It was like he was crying from the inside.

                “I hate the smell of hospitals.” He said out of nowhere. I was astonished to hear something like that from him. He just continued, “I hate this place where people die.”

                “Alex.” I moved his head and held his cheeks. I moved his face closer to mine and stared. “It’s going to be okay. Sharon’s going to be okay.”

                It may be out of the blue, but I just went closer and kissed his forehead. He didn’t care. He just stayed like that. He was severely shocked about what happened. Of course, maybe he was bummed about seeing Sharon’s mom on the floor, dead.

                “I’m sorry, Liyah.” He said as I continued to hold him. “I just hate going through these.”

                “It’s going to be okay, Alex.” I slid my hands to his back and hugged him. He closed his eyes and just hugged back. It wasn’t really one of the moments that I wanted to take the opportunity to hug him. I just thought he needed one.

                Before we knew it, the nurse came out of the room and said, “She’s awake. You can see her, but try to let her rest.”

                “She’s okay?” Alex rose up and stood.

                “She’s awake now. She didn’t really suffer any injury or damage, but given her condition, it’s best to let her rest.” She further stated.

                “Can we see her?” I stood up next to him.

                “Yes… briefly.”

                Alex and I decided to come and see her. After all, we were worried of how she’d take her mom’s suicide. When we got in to see her, she was sleeping. Her clothes have been changed to those white hospital clothes. She was doing fine, no tubes or those breathing devices or whatever. She looked fine… just a little paler and thinner than usual. Alex and I just stood in wait for her to awake.

                “I feel so sorry for her.” Alex said.

                “I should have done something for her back then.” I said. “I didn’t know she was going through this.”

                “We’re her only friends.” He repeated. I slowly reached for his hand. When I held grip of his hand, he held back. My stomach felt warm again.

                We held hands the whole time. It took a few moments, but Sharon finally awakened. She slowly opened her eyes and exhaled. When Alex noticed, he let go of my hand and stepped forward. I didn’t really mind.

                “Sharon…” he said. “Welcome back.”

                “I see you’re doing fine.” I smiled at her as she curiously moved her head to see us.

                “Liyah… Sander…” she said with a fading voice. “You’re here.”

                “Are you okay?” Alex asked her physical condition. “Are you dizzy?”

                “Why are you here?” Sharon asked, ignoring Alex’s concern.

                “What do you mean?” Alex asked.

                “Usually, it’s just mom.” She answered. “I had no friends, so I had no one coming to visit me when I’m in the hospital.”

                “What are you talking about?” Alex insisted. “We’re your friends. That’s why we’re here.”

                “We were concerned, Sharon.” I said.

                “Really?” her eyes started to get watery. “No one but my mom has ever told me that.”

                “We’re here for you. You’re gonna be all right.” Alex assured.

                “It’s not.” She denied. Alex and I just stared to that. “Mom’s gone. She killed herself.”

                Alex and I couldn’t say anything. That was beyond anything we’ve experienced. I was just no expert for that. All I knew was I was feeling really really really sorry for her. She just continued talking and crying.

                “Mom told me last night that she was really tired.” She cried. “That she was so sick of all of this. She said she regret everything she did. She regrets ever marrying dad. She said she regrets having me. I couldn’t say anything because it was all true. Imagine if she didn’t have me. Imagine if she was married to a different guy. It was all my fault!”

                “Sharon, that’s enough.” Alex held her hair and brushed it. I was starting to tear up for her.

                “I made breakfast for mom this morning.” She continued to cry. “But she said she didn’t want any of it. She said this family wasn’t going anywhere anyway. Then, mom…”

                “Sharon.” I started to cry. “Please. You need to rest.”

                “She stabbed herself. She couldn’t stand me.” She cried even further. I was there, holding my mouth while tears ran down my face. “She said she was sorry. She just lost her faith in herself. She said she just couldn’t do it anymore.”

                “That’s enough, Sharon.” Alex dropped his knees next to her and started to wipe away her tears. “It’s going to be all right. We’re here for you now.”

                I just stood and cried. I couldn’t stand what Sharon was saying. She cried all the time. She said the she misses her mom even when she gave up on her. She said she wanted to give up like her mom, too. She was really tired of the world.

                Did I ever think my life sucks? Yes… I thought it was the worse, but just imagine if Sharon had my life… She’d live and appreciate it more than I could ever. I’m really sorry, Sharon.

                All I did was cry with Sharon. Alex tried his best to calm her down, but she was too depressed. It wasn’t all right. It was a disaster.