Chapter 13 Our Moment

My mind was frozen. My chest was pounding hard that it was the only thing my ears heard. My hands shook with all the doubt I had. I couldn’t believe how I was looking for Alex and wasn’t even prepared to talk to him. I forgot exactly what I planned to say.

                “Hi, Liyah.” It was good that Alex was the one to start talking because if it was me, he would’ve notice the nervousness in my voice. I braced myself because I thought I shouldn’t let his smile go down.

                “Alex!” I shrieked in a smile. I probably seemed surprised, but it was just that I couldn’t talk right.

                “Still can’t get used to Sander?” he laughed and looked down. I didn’t know what he was trying to do, but I found it a bit charming.

                “I’m sorry, Sander.” I laughed back as he started to smile at me again. I tried to make it as casual as possible. “I’m just a little more confident with Alex.”

                “Really? A lot of people find Sander more comfortable since it’s unusual.”

                “It’s really cool and unusual.” I stated. “But I think Alex suits you better.”

                “Thanks?” he said in a confused manner, still smiling.

                “It’s a compliment!” I laughed, and I guess he found me hilarious because he gave me a fascinated look. “And you’re welcome.”

                “So!” Alexander started a conversation while he blew out a breath. “What brings you up here when the party’s down there?”

                “I should ask you the same question.” I tried to say it as polite as possible. His smile widened when I asked. I guess he found that a bit interesting or something.

                “Me?” he chuckled and turned around. I walked nearer to him as he laid his arms on the railing and looked up. “I don’t know. I needed a little air.”

                “Is the crowd suffocating?” I stood beside him, laid my arms on the railing and looked where he looked. “I mean, there’s barely enough air with the noise.”

                “Well, not exactly. I was partying with them for the past three hours. I got a little tired.”

                “Yeah,” I chuckled. “Especially because you’re a really friendly guy. It must have been exhausting to befriend all those people downstairs.”

                “You’re friendly, yourself.” He stated. I found that a bit sweet. He actually threw back the compliment I gave him. Well, maybe he thought I was friendly because I acted very differently when he was around.

                “Thanks.” I said.

                “You’re welcome.” He said back. After he said that, my stomach felt warm again. I tucked my arms around my waist instead. The feeling was getting weirder.

                For moments, I didn’t know what to say. I just stared up the way Alex did. I didn’t know why he was doing that, nor did I know why he was there alone before I saw him. Each of the seconds that made me feel more comfortable with him just passed by like how the awkward atmosphere had suddenly felt like to have flown away.

                “Tell me.” I started again. “Why are you really here?”

                “Well,” he said straight on, without a trace of doubt. “I thought the stars would look nice tonight.”