Chapter 6 Somebody Someday

Nick and I went on line for food, without any tray. Nick –of course- let me lead in line. He was trying to be a gentleman, but either way works for me. Nick and I got the usual: apple, banana, and strawberry juice. Fruits worked for us well. Nick and I got back to the table. I forgot that I actually left my stiff and the doll on the table. It was good that no one took it. Everyone just seemed to have no time to eat, skating and running around the campus.

                “You left your stuff.” Nick reminded me as we sat.

                “Yeah. I can see that.”

                “Sorry.” He chuckled. We both took bites from our apples.

                “So, what’s with this baby doll?” Nick pointed the doll.

                “That’s our SexEd project.” I replied. “We’re supposed to take care of that brat.”

                “I thought there are supposed to be fathers in that kind of project.”

                “Yeah. There is.” I nodded. “But he ain’t helping. He said he was too busy.”

                “It’s not that he won’t help. It’s that you won’t let him help you.” Well, Nick actually knew me better than Laura- probably better than mom, too.

                “Only because I was concerned with the guy. I mean, he’s pressured with work.”

                “No. You aren’t.” He started laughing. I didn’t know why, but that got me laughing, too. Well, I was already in a good mood before I went to lunch.

                “Okay. What’s the problem with that?”

                “You know, there’s nothing wrong with asking help from time to time.” Nick added. “You’ll eventually need help when you get to that point where you can’t rely on yourself.”

                “Okay. I got it.” My smile dropped not because I was mad or anything. Nick and I went silent for a while and ate instead. He was clearly observing me. I mean, he seemed to be waiting for me to talk. But before I did, he went first.

                “So, do you need help with that?” Nick asked like he didn’t know me at all. Or did he ask because he knew me and wanted to go totally against my will. There was a smirk on his face, and I realized he was up to something.

                “Nick.” I said. I didn’t know what to say next. It just came out. “I told you-”

                “I don’t want any help from any guy?” He continued my sentence. Well, it was close to what I was about to say.

                “Well, yeah.” I insisted. “What’s wrong with that?”

                “What if someone wants to help you?”

                “What?” I suddenly didn’t understand what he was talking about. “What does that even mean?”

                “I mean, what if someone draws happiness from helping you?”

                “That’s nonsense.” I took a bit and munched. “Everyone who helps just wants something in return.”

                “Well, I don’t.” he stated. I didn’t know if it was true. He could have just wanted to help me every time because he wants to be favored. But I couldn’t judge him.