Chapter 5 The Guy I Pushed Away

Steve noticed I came out with a sudden smile in my face, big enough for him to think I was bipolar. He waited for me in the hall, and I came there, walking carefree. I didn’t begin to notice Steve was observing me as he held our doll baby around his arms.

                “Are you okay?” he asked due to my sudden change of mood.

                “What?” I paid my attention back to Steve as Alexander had walked away out from my sight. “I beg your pardon.”

                “What are you so struck about?” he chuckled. Well, I wouldn’t blame him. Alexander did strike my mind with just a smile.

                “Me? I’m struck?” I denied in a good vibe. “I’m not.”

                Steve nodded and smiled, like he figured something out. That wasn’t reassuring for me.

                “So, how are we gonna distribute the work?” I went back on track with him.

                “Well, that’s going to be tricky.” He said. “I’ve got afternoon shifts. I’m a cashier and in-room dining order taker.”

                “Oh.” I reacted. Somehow, I could relate to him. I used to work at a diner, too. It’s a good thing that my father sends us money even when he left me and mom for his other family. I refused to take his money, but mom insisted, and I wanted to help out mom as much as possible. “So, you’re not gonna be free on afternoons?”

                “Hardly ever free. My girlfriend and I rarely date, like twice in a month. She’s working, too.”

                “What a hassle.” I commented. Of course, I didn’t want to put any pressure on Steve since he’s a really nice guy. “I could take care of it. I mean, I have all the free time I need. I even get bored sometimes.”

                “No. I don’t want to do it like that.” He rejected my generous offer. Well, it was his choice. “I want to help out, too, you know.”

                “That’s nice, but it’s really okay with me.” I insisted. Like I’ve said, I was a feminist. “I can cover it on my own.”

                “Are you sure?” After what I said, he looked like he was about to accept my offer. It seemed liked I forgot how I sucked at taking care of babies, but I was sure I would prefer to do it with no help. After all, I was not good with talking to guys even though I would seem like a lesbian.

                “I won’t be needing your help. I’ll be fine on my own.” I said that in a nice way so it won’t seem like I’m boasting. He seemed to have taken no offense, but he did look at me like I was weird. Well, maybe I was.

                “Are you some kind of feminist or something?” Well, he figured it out. Not that I cared, but I still wanted to make friends somehow.

                “A bit.” I nodded. “I refuse to get help especially from guys.”

                “That’s cool.” He chuckled. “I mean, I appreciate what you’re doing. With that, I won’t have to be stressed with all the work and projects. I mean, it’s just the start of the school year, and I’m dying already.”

                “Have you actually calculated how much longer you’re going to work, like have you thought of how longer are you still gonna work?”