Chapter 16 Ruined Night

When we thought we had been too long outside, we decided to walk back in with the party. At first, Nick thought we could dance along with the cheerful and crazy beats of the songs, but we were a little too shy to dance. I guess talking with people is the only option we had. We were about to walk upstairs when we saw a commotion going on by the living room. There was a crowd circled to something when I heard that the music was turned off. They were quiet. All I could hear was a girl in the crowd who was shouting. The voice really seemed familiar. I figured and hoped I wasn’t right. I looked at Nick, and he did at me, too. We both seemed to have come up with the same guess. We quickly rushed through the crowd to see the girl who was shouting. When we got upfront, I wasn’t surprised. I wasn’t wrong with who I thought it was. It was Winnie. She was shouting at Harvey. I scouted my head around for Laura, but she didn’t seem to be in the circle of crowds. Nick and I remained back and watched.

                “How dare you even show up here!” Winnie continued shouting at Harvey. I wondered why there wasn’t anyone stopping that and why was Harvey silent and just absorbed everything Winnie was saying. I looked at Harvey’s expression, and he totally looked sorry. She continued raging, “Even though it’s okay for gatecrashers, I never expected that you’ll be thick enough to even get near me!”

                “Hey!” Alex swept through the crowd and stood behind Winnie. “What’s going on?”

                “Please make him leave, Sander!” Winnie said after she saw Alex.

                “I invited him here.” Alex explained. “I don’t know what’s going on.”

                “You invited this skunk here?” Winnie continued with rage and disgust.

                “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” Alex continued. “You said I could invite anyone, so I invited him.”

                “Really?” Winnie faced Alex and started to calm. She took a deep breath and looked back at Harvey who was silent and forlorn. “Can you please get him out?”

                Alex stayed still at first. He probably didn’t know what to do, but he still did what Winnie asked. He went near Harvey to gently talk him out, “I’m sorry, man. I don’t know what’s going on, but I think it’s best if you leave.”

                “I’m sorry, Sander.” Harvey gently pushed Alex beside to face Winnie. Alex was fine with it and stayed still. “I needed to tell Winnie something before I go.”

                “Don’t you think you’ve made your point enough, Harvey?” Winnie begged.

                “I haven’t.” Harvey paused. “There’s just a point that I still haven’t told you.”

                “What?”

                “I still haven’t told you, for the whole year that I avoided you, that I’m truly sorry.” Harvey explained. There was a wave of silence that roamed the room after.

                Winnie bit her lips, still not accepting, and shook her head, “You know I can never forgive you now. With all that you’ve done, I can never accept you again.”

                I looked at Winnie; she had her crying eyes. I looked at Harvey; he was still bummed. I looked at Alex; he was confused, but I could see that he felt sorry for Winnie that she had to feel that way on her birthday night. I also felt sorry for Winnie. She didn’t need to go through that on her special night. My hands clenched. My whole being wants punch Harvey right away, but I didn’t want Alex to see that. I couldn’t do anything but feel sorry for all of them.