Chapter 22 Daddy

Of course, after I took Sharon, I headed home. I parked and got in our apartment and all. I didn’t really expect anyone until I saw my father when I got in. He was sitting on the couch and waiting. When he saw me, he smiled and stood. Of course, my blood boiled. The man who abandoned us was standing before me. I wanted to hit him, but I hit a guy in school already. I didn’t want to cause any problem.

                “Liyah.” He said calmly like he was happy to see me.

                “What are you doing here?” I crossed my arms and began to sound furious. “You must be needing something.”

                “No, Liyah.” He continued with his calm voice. He never sounded like that before. He was always angry and bitter at us. I didn’t know exactly what he was trying to do, but I was sure I didn’t like it. “I just wanted to see you. I missed you.”

                “Oh, wow!” I said sarcastically. “I missed you too!”

                “Liyah.” He tried to explain. “I know I’ve made some mistakes, and I wish I could turn them around.”

                “Oh, really? When you left us, you didn’t seem sorry for anything. You seemed so eager to leave that door.” I sulked, and I felt like crying. I remembered all those years that I was looking for a dad, but all I found was a man that left us in the air.

                “I’m really sorry, Liyah.” He sounded sincere. Then, I felt my heart stop. I never thought I’d hear him say that. I felt like I wanted to cry, but I didn’t. I held it in. I wanted to keep sounding like I was angry. I wanted him to beg for my forgiveness.

                “All this time!” I walked nearer to him and kept shouting like I was a mom lecturing her child. I started to feel the tears on my eyes. My voice started to sound sad. “My whole childhood, all I ever wanted was to have my family to be complete again! Every birthday that passed by was just another day that I wished my dad would be there, yet like the usual birthday wishes, they don’t come true. You didn’t even bother to greet me. You must have forgotten about it.”

                Suddenly, I felt weaker. I wanted to apologize to dad even though I knew I wasn’t the one who was supposed to be apologizing. I don’t know. I felt like I suddenly wanted to make up with him. You know, I wanted my dad again. But I held it in. I wanted him to be the one apologizing. He already did. It actually warmed my heart when I heard him say sorry. I just wanted him to push it more.

                “I didn’t.” he said.

                “Yeah? When is it?”

                He couldn’t answer. He tried humming and remembering, but he didn’t. It took him seconds until he answered, “It’s around in June.”

                “Not even the right month, Ronald.” I said. “How many girls must have you fucked that you got mixed up with my birthday? Never mind… It’s not that you cared about me when you were still here.”

                “I just want to be a better father.”

                “You’re not in luck! I don’t need a father!” I shouted. I really tried to push him away though I was urging to hug him. “I needed a father years ago, and you weren’t there. It’s a little too late now.”

                “I know.” He said, and I got caught. “Your mom told me you grew to be a feminist. PMS?”

                “I’m not pissed at men.” I said. “I’m pissed at you.”