Chapter 34 - Betrayal

Madeline's POV
______________

We had thirty minutes until the championship game. I kept my gear on as I heard Madi's footsteps. "Hey, kid." I said. "How did you do against the Dirt Dawgs?" "Slaughter." She said. "I'm playing you in the championship." "The top two teams make it to the National Tournament in Oklahoma." I said. "Then I guess we will meet again in Oklahoma." She said. "I just don't know when I will see you again." She was trying to hold back tears. I walked over and hugged her. "We will definitely keep in touch." I said. "I'll let you know when I am going to the next Chris K 5k. I will see you, Laura, and Lilly there. I could also bring Zach if it is fine with you."

"Totally." She said. "I approve of him. He is a gentleman." "Thanks." I said. Next thing I knew, I heard a teleport. I looked up and Madi turned around. "Jason!" Madi screamed. "I wouldn't break a promise for you girls." He said. We hugged him. "Thank you so much for coming back for us." I said. "No problem girls." He said. "And the moon is about to rise so use your shades." "Oh, I'm way ahead of you." I said as I put my shades on with a straight face.

Madi looked at me weird for a minute and then, my eyes turned yellow through the shades. She nodded as if she knew what I was thinking and walked to her dugout. Jason did the same as I put my gear on. We were the higher seed which meant we were home team. I warmed Allie up and soon the game started. We kept a steady streak until the last inning.

...

Madi's POV
__________

It was the last inning. I was on first and it was two outs. We were down by one. Annabelle was up to bat. Next thing I knew, my coach gave me the steal sign. I pretended I didn't get the sign, so I signaled for a redo. Instead, the coach wiped off the sign and gave me a look of disgust. When the pitch came in, she swung and missed. Then, Madeline threw the ball my way and I dove back to the base. I was safe. She smirked at me. I made the heart sign with my hands as returning the mockery. It didn't bother me. I knew she was messing with me.

The coach gave me the steal sign again and finally, I tapped my helmet. "Sting B!!" Madeline yelled. 'Huh?' I thought. 'What kind of call is that?' I waited for Allie to pitch. As she released the ball, I ran at wolf speed. I heard the ball being thrown. I attempted a hook slide, but my claws formed a bit too late and I slid off the bag. I was tagged by Clara. "Nice try, kid." She said. "Out." The umpire said. I got up and dusted myself off. I held back tears, but I didn't care because Madeline is my friend and I will see her again in the National Tournament. We lined up at home plate and shook hands. Madeline and I hugged. "Best Massachusetts tournament ever." I said. "Great job, Madi." She said. "This was the best game you guys have given us in a long time. You guys are a great team no matter what anyone else thinks." "Thanks Madeline." I said. "Please, call me Maddie." She said.

...

Madeline's POV
______________

Madeline's POV______________