Chapter 31 - pool play

(This will be the three games in both Madeline and Madi's points of view.)

...

Madi's POV
____________

Game one.

I was behind the plate. We were against the Mass Drifters. I saw a girl with the number 13 up to bat. "Hey, are you Laura Hatch?" I asked. "Yes I am." She said. "You look like one of my teammates from my town league." "You must be talking about Madeline Kilpeck." I said. "I know her." "Well, tell her I said hi and be careful." She said. "I will." I said. "And we are the same."

The game flew by and soon we were in the bottom of the 7th inning. The game was still tied. 0-0. I was up at bat and Laura Hatch was pitching. 'Remember, you can hit off her pitches.' Lilly said telepathically. The bases were loaded and there were two outs. As the pitch came in, my eyes turned yellow as I swung the bat. I heard the BASH off of the Dmarini as I saw the ball fly over the fence. I jogged around the bases and my teammates met me at home plate.

"Nice hit, Treble." Laura Hatch said, meeting me after the game. "No one has ever hit off me unless it is my catcher from Middleboro." "Madeline can hit off you?" I asked. "Well, she is my catcher for town." She said. "She knows all of my pitches. Well, see you around and I'll let you know if I see Madeline." I nodded as I walked towards my second game. There I saw Lady Sting in their white jerseys.

....

Madeline's POV
________________

Game 2.

So far, our record is 1-0. We beat the Canton Dirt Dawgs 12-0 once again for the past few years. We were against the Maine Coast Riptide for game two. Throughout the game, I saw two girls eyeing me. Their eyes glowed red as they were staring at me the whole game.

One was even on first base in the top of the 7th inning. There were no outs and we were winning by 3. I flashed my signs to Allie and she went into her windup. Her eyes flashed red, notifying me she has speed. Thank goodness I had my shades on. As the ball hit my glove, my eyes turned yellow as I popped up and fired the ball down to Clara who put on the tag on the runner.

"Out!" The umpire said. There were cheers coming from our side of the bench. I looked at our side and I saw that the Lady Blaze girls finished a game. They all had their bags lined up because they had a game against the Riptide.

Now, it was 2 outs in the same inning. There was a runner on second. The batter was short, but she looked at me until the umpire came back to us for the last out hopefully. The girl on second was an emo girl with black and brown hair. Her eyes glowed red. "8, 2." I yelled at the top of my lungs.

In the distance, I saw Sam nod her head. I flashed the signs and Allie pitched. The batter then hit the ball up the middle. The runner took off. "Four! Four!" I yelled. Next thing I knew, the ball was thrown as the runner was almost to me. I caught the ball and threw my weight into her as she ran into the tag. She fell backwards as I was standing firm with my metal spikes in the ground and the ball in my black and orange catcher's mitt.

The umpire called her out and we lined up. I kept my gear on just in case someone decides to attack me.  The emo girl took off her helmet and glared at me. "Just wait Kilpeck." She mumbled. "Yea, good game to you too." I said.

I met Madi out of the dugout. "Good luck." I said. "They're so easy." "I know, right?" Madi said. "When was your first game?" "Yesterday against the Dirt Dawgs." I said. "Slaughtered them." "Yea, our third game is unknown right now, but I know we are not playing you guys." She said. "We are playing Blackout in a bit." I said. "We have this field after you guys."

...

Madi's POV
___________

...time skip...

We once again slaughtered the Riptide and now we switched fields with Lady Sting to play our third and final game of pool play. We were against a team from New York.

The coaches were called in for a coin flip. It took a long time because the second umpire wasn't there yet. "What do you think of this tournament so far?" Laura asked. "A bit too easy." I said. "Have you noticed that Annabelle wants all the credit right now?" She nodded. "Yep." Lilly said, butting into the conversation. "Even though you hit the walk off home run and we threw the runners out."

"Let her do whatever." Rachel said. "Let her bask in the glory. They let the first and second place teams into the national tournament. So, I don't care if Madeline's team beats us in the championship." "Okay then." I said. "I'm just here to play ball."

....

Madeline's POV
________________

It was the 7th inning and again, we were up by 6. We were at bat. Make that I was at bat with a full count on me. Well, me being the stupid person I am, kept fouling off the ball. "C'mon, Maddie." Zach called from the sidelines. "I believe in you." That's when my eyes turned yellow.

No I didn't have any shades. I just swung the bat and found the ball flying over the fence. I jogged around the bases and the slaughter rule was called. We lined up as I took off my helmet.

I kept getting dizzy and my eyes kept flickering yellow. Soon, one of the umpires looked at me strange. "Excuse me Catch, are you okay?" She asked. I nodded. "Yea." I said. "Thanks Blu." "May I talk to you for a minute?" She asked. "Sure." I said. "What is it? Did I do something wrong?" "I need to ask you your name." She said. "Maddie." I said. "Madison?" She asked tearing up. She hugged me.

I was bewildered. "I'm sorry." I said. "My name is Madeline. But I know her. She's playing in that game over there." I pointed to the game with Madi's team playing. "She is number 6 on the Lady Blaze. Why do you ask?." "I'm her mother." The umpire said.