Chapter 1 - Almost to Boston

Madi's POV
____________

We finished the Bangor tournament coming in first place. The third out was the throw down to second, getting the runner out. I don't care anymore about other teams knowing about my wolf side. So, I know, they know to not steal on a werewolf. It's better that way to remember that the catcher on this team is to be feared. Heh. I love this. I'm the starting catcher on a human/vampire softball team. Like, I'm having the best weekend of my fucking life. I saw red eyes glowing and I saw a pair or two of yellow eyes on the runner up team. They didn't care. I didn't either. I just kept a close eye for Shannon.

Ever since she and her friends attacked our first tournament, everything changed. They turned on them. I couldn't believe it. Now, it seems they could not care anymore. I felt welcome. However, she's not finished. Shannon wants to get rid of me just because of my parents' history with hers. Singing werewolf doesn't cut it. It's the start of breaking the barrier of discrimination between vampires and werewolves and I guess humans. But I heard that another werewolf not much younger than me caused the discrimination once again. I heard rumors about it and her enemy is on my team, so I have to find her and help her. We all packed up to leave. It was back to Penobscot for my Laura, Lilly, and me. Lilly's mother offered to drive us home.

"Great job girls." She said. "Great play Madi." "Thanks Mrs. Marglous." I said. "You're welcome." She said. "Do you think you guys will win Boston since you're such a good team?" "I don't know mom." Lilly said. "We haven't faced these teams yet. Lady Sting, Shockwave, many more teams. Heck, we haven't seen the best Drifters team yet. I know Ali has told us about that. Remember Ali?" "Yea." I said. "She was actually substituting for someone who couldn't make it. The real Hatch is the #1 pitcher on that team. She told me after we all talked to her. She wants us to speak with her."

"Great." Laura said. "I just hope she knows who sent us. She knows people too. Mostly from Lady Sting. We will just ask who knows her." "That's the only way to find allies." I said. "We gotta be careful if Shannon is around. She could be one of them in disguise." "Good call" Lilly said.

.....

Shannon's POV
_____________

I decided to quit my team since the mishap with Madi. My friends also abandoned me after all that at the Blue Hill tournament. 'Screw them.' I thought. 'They won't win any games anyway without me.' I also moved to Milford, Massachusetts. I looked at the openings for other Massachusetts teams. There I saw Lady Sting. I tried out and I got the last open tryout for that team. I met some nice people too. Mina Pabst, Clara Cook, Sam Marglous, Allie Reed, Emma Perry, Ava Noble, Liana Bernier, Caitlin Peck, Heidi Chretien, and Madeline Kilpeck. Madeline was the #1 catcher, so I talked to her. She looked a bit like Madi, but with dark auburn dyed hair in a braid. "So, who's your pitcher?" I asked. "Well, I switch off with Allie, Clara, and Emma." She said. "And our coach has all of the pitchers warm up in case we need a relief, but Allie is the #1 pitcher. I'm her catcher."

'Good to fucking know.' I thought, disgusted. "The coach needs a really good outfielder." She said. "Go talk to my dad. He knows where to put everyone according to their preferences. Yea, you'll be a pitcher, but most of our outfielders left the team. Heck, you could be shortstop. Our shortstop left as well." "I guess I could do shortstop." I said. "Yea, just go ask him." She said. "I will." I said. "Thank you."

.....

Laura's POV
___________

We arrived at Madi's house. I ran in and crashed on the couch. "Let's call it a night." I said. "I'm tired." "How are you tired?" Madi asked. "I should be the one who is tired. I caught the whole day. And knowing you, you're never tired. You should be wanting another game for all I know." "Madi is right, Laura." Lilly said. "I am not as tired as Madi right now. But, have you seen the way the umpires look at us?" "Yea," Lilly's mother said. "I caught them just looking at you girls suspiciously. Especially Madi. What's going on with that?" "I don't know, but that is really creepy." Madi said.

"I agree." I said. "Especially that you're the catcher." "Right." Madi said. "It feels like the umpire is always breathing down my back and I always need to make sure if I have tucked in my shirt all the way. Lilly laughed. "C'mon, you're a catcher too." Madi said. "Yea, don't act like it is all new to you." I said. "Alright, alright." Lilly said. "I get it."

Madi was pacing back and forth. "I want to research the teams we are playing in Boston." She said. "I'm a bit antsy to know who we are up against. I'll be right back with my computer." She sprinted out of the room and came back a second later with her laptop. "Alright," I said. "Let's start with Lady Sting."