Chapter 2 - A Team in a Team

Madeline's POV
________________

We won the Bourne tournament with a record of 6-0. I threw out six runners stealing in the pool play and threw out six runners in the playoffs. My dad and Coach Rick handed out trophies and awards. However, there was one name that stood out to me.

"Our rookie came in just in time for this tournament and was a beast in right field." My dad said. "Shannon Healy."

She stepped forward and received her trophy. I saw her face snap in my direction.

"You will never be better than me." she murmured.

"You wish." I mumbled.

I could hear her perfectly well. I'm glad that she doesn't know that I'm a werewolf. I wonder if she knows Annabelle.

Other than that, she might, so I am gonna keep this in. I hope Allie, Sam, and Clara understand why I am choosing to hide my form from the rest of the team.

I got my trophy after Shannon.

My dad made this a bigger deal than it already is. "To our star catcher. Her and Allie worked together and I didn't have to call a single pitch. My daughter, Maddie."

When I walked back, I looked in her direction through the shades. "You're never gonna be my pitcher. Allie will be and will always be my pitcher. I'm not letting you take that away from her."

She glared at me. Soon, we packed up and we were walking to our vehicles.

Just then, Shannon stopped me in my path. "I heard you, Madeline. Or should I call you Maddie?"

I glared.  "Only my friends call me Maddie."

"So, I'm not your friend? Rude."

"Well, you're certainly not acting like my friend. You're not even acting like a teammate. Yeah, you're playing well. I will give you that, but why do you want to take my pitcher away from me?"

She laughed. "You see, I know I am a better pitcher than all of them combined."

"What makes you think I'm not as good?"

"You are a good pitcher, but there are already three other pitchers." I replied. "I've seen you pitch and Allie is a bit faster. That's the truth for you if you really wanted it."

Next thing I knew, she took me and held me up by the jersey. "You've pushed me to my limits, catcher. You have no idea who you're dealing with. You wanna know my real self?"

I dropped my bag in fear. "Um, guys?"

She giggled. "Right, like your friends are gonna help you."

Next thing I knew, I saw her eyes glow red. I pinched her hand. She screamed as she let me go. I fell to the ground hard. On instinct, I scooted back into the fencing of the dugout.

I watched as she was about to throw something at me, but I saw Allie run over in a blur. I rubbed my eyes. I watched as Allie pinned Shannon to the ground.

She started to hiss. "What's the meaning of this, Shannon?" She screamed. "Don't you think about hurting my catcher."

Shannon smirked as she disappeared with her bag. Holy shit. Thar just freaking happened. I stayed as far back as I could, trying to take it all in.

Allie helped me up.

I was in awe. "Um, is there something you're not telling me? You heard me from that far away and next thing I knew, you were about to hit Shannon. What's going on?"

"Um, about that, I am not what I seem." she said.

"Yea, no kidding Allie." I said. "Youre a vampire. What are you doing helping me out?"