Chapter 18 - song selection

Jason's POV
__________

I was going on another run. This time, without my ability. I put a lot of duet covers in my playlist. I wanted to hear the harmonies and see if they worked well. I waved my hand over my phone and the screen turned black. People would think I turned it off, but I could still see the screen. I could see which songs I like and don't like. I started running. The music started playing. I was looking for a love song that I could sing with her.

As I reached the 1 mile mark, another song came on. It was Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum. This one was the original. I could see Madeline singing the female part of the song. I snapped my fingers again and I saw an invisible sound proof bubble around my head so I could sing. No one could see it and they just see me looking ahead and not saying anything. I started singing.

I put in the harmony of the male singer and listened to the girl as if she was Madeline. I haven't really heard her voice. I pushed my bangs out of my face and to the side. I kept singing my solo parts and it sounded good with the song. I looked around and I'm glad the neighbors couldn't see my expressions because they'd be staring at me for the rest of my run. Soon, the song ended. I wondered if we could sing that song together.

I crossed the two mile mark and I was halted to a stop. A really good song came on. It wasn't familiar to me. So I just let it play. However, I was intrigued by the lyrics. '🎤if I lay here. If I just lay here. Will you lie with me and just forget the world? Forget what we're told before we get too old. Show me a garden that's bursting into life. All that I am. All that I ever was was here in your perfect eyes. They're all I can see. I don't now where, confused about how as well. Just know that these things will never change for us at all.🎤' I could hear the harmony in my head. Madeline and I should do this song.

....

Madeline's POV
_____________

Rachel and I ran through Fight Song a couple times. Then she had a question. "So, what song are you and Jason singing?" Rachel asked. "I don't know what to do." I said. "Wanna listen to some songs I picked out in my head?" She asked. "Sure." I said. "That could help me." She walked over to my iPad and with a pencil and paper, wrote down love songs to choose from. She wrote down five. "Alright." I said. The songs were Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum, Heaven covered by Boyce Avenue, A Thousand Years by Christina Perri, The Last Time by Taylor Swift, and Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

"I wanna listen to The Last Time and Chasing Cars." I said. "I wanna see if they have duet versions." "Well, The Last Time has Taylor Swift and the lead singer from Snow Patrol." She said. She searched the song and it came up. We listened to it for a while. It ended really beautifully. "That sounds really good." I said. "Alright, I wanna hear a duet version of Chasing Cars."

She clicked on the cover of Chasing Cars. The video finally loaded. The female was the lead singer and the male did all the harmony. "Really?" I demanded. "The female singer doesn't give the male singer a chance for melody. Not even in the verses. I really like that song." "Do you think you and Jason could do a little bit better?" Rachel asked. "Of course." I said. "In fact, I think we could do a lot better than them." "Alright then." She said. "It's settled. Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol is your song with Jason." We listened to the rest of the song. "Other than that, I like the original better." Rachel said. "Agreed." I said. "After, let's go to sleep. We could work on our harmonies tomorrow."

....

Jason's POV
__________

It was already dusk. I was walking up my driveway. I was sore. I believe I ran a marathon because of how lost I was in the music. I looked at my phone. It was 9:30. I got a text on my phone. It was Madeline.

...

Madeline: Hey, Jason. It's Madeline.

...

Jason: How did you get my number?

...

Madeline: Madi gave me your number. Sry. She should've told you. Lol

...

Jason: So, what's up?

...

Madeline: Rachel and I are working on our song.

...

Jason: What song are you guys working on?

...

Madeline: Fight Song by Rachael Platten. Idk if I spelled her name right. Lol

...

Jason: lol

...

Madeline: And I figured out what song we could sing together.

...

Jason: ooh, what song? Is it a duet song?

...

Madeline: Well, it's a solo song, but I can make up harmonies and it could become a duet song.

...

Jason: Tell me the song, damnit. Lol

...

Madeline: lol. It's Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

...

I freaking knew it. I just listened to that song. I had harmonies already. 'I should just tell her that I'm looking forward to singing that with her.' I thought. 'Then I'll surprise her with my harmony.' I then replied to her text.

...

Jason: I love that song! I'd love to sing that with you.

...

Madeline: maybe you could help with harmonies.

...

Jason: That would be great. When do you want me over?

...

Madeline: I'll let you know when Rachel leaves. You could come then.

...

Jason: alright. I'll see you then.

...

Madeline: Perfect. Well, gtg. Rachel and I are gonna go over harmonies tomorrow morning. Good night, Jason.

...

Jason: Good night, Madeline.

...

Madeline: Call me Maddie please.

...

Jason: K. Night, Maddie.

...

I put away my phone. I couldn't believe it. We are going to sing Chasing Cars together. I have the perfect harmony in the chorus. I hope we alternate on the verses though. I changed the contact to "Maddie Kilpeck ❤️."

I walked into the house. "Welcome back, Jason." My mother said. "How was your run?" "Good." I said. "Ran 20 miles." "Good for you." She said. "As vampires, we need to get our running in. When are you leaving for the girls' tournament?" "This Wednesday, actually." I said. "What?" My mother said. "That soon?" "Yeah." I said. "I'm singing with my friend from Massachusetts." "Massachusetts, huh?" She said. "What's her name?" "Madeline Kilpeck." I said. "Wait, she's like Madi." She said. "Oh my god, this is awesome. Is she a singing wolf like I heard?" I nodded. "I really wanna hear you both sing." She said. "Sadly, I won't be there." "I'll send you a recording of our final practice and I'll have Madi record our performance on stage." I said. "Oh, that would be awesome." She said. "What song are you singing?" "Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol." I said. "I can't wait." My mother said.

I then walked upstairs. I went on my phone and looked at the picture I took of the Skype call. There was Maddie. She was in her practice jersey with her teammates, Allie and Mina. I had a playlist of her covers on YouTube. She was so good, but I wanted to hear her in person. Soon, I fell asleep knowing I am singing with her in two days.