Chapter 6 - connection

Madeline's POV
_____________

It was a week until the tournament in Boston. We finally had all the team members. At least this happened. I was sick of the no dedication last year. This year is better so far. However, since Madison's team has Annabelle on it, I am now more careful. And Shannon is on my team and hunting down Madison. You know, I'll just call her Madi. So anyways, I parked in the lot of the West Bridgewater softball field. I saw that Allie parked next to me and on the other side, Sam. I got out and took out my catching bag and my metal cleats. I walked in my black sandals to the dugout. As I was putting on my cleats, I heard a phone conversation. I used my wolf hearing to eavesdrop.

It was Shannon. "Yea, Kelli." She said. "I'm on Madeline's team." I listened harder for the sound coming from the phone. "Do you know if Madeline is like Madi?" Kelli asked. "I don't know." Shannon said. "I almost saw something at the Bourne tournament." "Ooh, Bourne?" Kelli asked. "Sounds fancy." "Yea, well, it's nothing like Penobscot." Shannon said. "I totally doubt that one of my team members has been there." I have been to the Penobscot high school for an annual race for my grandmother. How could she not recognize me?

I kept listening. "So, when are you gonna come back to the Maine Coast Riptide?" Kelli asked. "I thought you'd never ask." Shannon said. "I am gonna come back after the Boston tournament. After I help them win it. After all, they mostly rely on my outfield. Allie's no good pitching and Madeline's careless catching are no match for you guys. Even Madi's team could beat us without me." I was offended. I recorded all this for Allie, Madi, Laura, and Lilly to hear next time we all talk.

"They're really that bad?" Kelli asked. "You have no idea." Shannon said. "So, if we ever take on you guys on or you find Maddie and Madi playing each other, then at the end of the game, do something that will trigger both their transformations. Well, if it's possible for Madeline, since I still need to test my theory." I saw through the cracks of the dugout. She held up a dog whistle. I carefully put my phone down and slowly put my hands to my ears. I covered them as she put the whistle to her mouth. I then heard the muffled, but shrill sound as I closed my eyes and tried not to make a sound. I heard the whistle die down as I uncovered my ears. "Nothing so far." Shannon said. I slowly picked up the phone again and kept recording. "Aren't you early?" Kelli asked. "Yea." Shannon said. "But I see others are here. So, I'll let you know if Madeline shows any peculiar behavior today in practice." "Ok." Kelli said. "Talk to you later." She hung up. I looked though the cracks. She was just texting. I stopped the recording and sent it to Madi.

Madeline: Hey, listen to this. I'll text you after practice. (recording.001)

Madi: K. Have fun.

I put my phone and keys in my bag and tied my cleats. I finished tying my cleats when Shannon was entering the fence to the dugout.

.....

Shannon's POV
_____________

I heard the clicking of metal spikes. I looked to see a catching bag. "Oh, you're here." I said. "Yea." Madeline said. "So?" "What brings you here so early?" I asked. "I'm warming Allie up." She said. Allie walked into the dugout. "Ready?" Madeline asked. "Yup." Allie said. "Let me just get my weighted ball." "What is this?" I asked as I picked up the ball?" They looked at me like I'm crazy. "All pitchers have their own method of warming up." Madeline said. "Live with it. Clara does too. So does Emma. And so do I." "You pitch?" I asked astonished. "Yea." Madeline said. "I'm the #4 that everyone is talking about."

I watched as she put on her gear. The brick wall mask didn't look convincing. "Why a brick wall?" I asked. "Nothing gets by me." Madeline said in the most blank tone. "You have any more questions? Because I would love to give you all the obvious answers." She smiled a fake smile. Her face turned back to a blank stare that could look straight through you. Maybe that's why she can control anything. I gave her a wtf stare. "I've been through a ton and this is how I deal with remarks like yours and people like you." Madeline added.

I watched as they warmed up. Soon, others came and soon the practice started. "Alright bring it in." Coach Neil said. "We are going over the batting order for Boston. Coach Rick has it for you." "Alright." Coach Rick said. "It goes... Clara, Emma, Maddie, Lianna, Mina, Heidi, Allie, Sam, Shannon, Caitlin, and Ava. So, I want Mina, Ava, Sam, and Emma to do some bunting. Then I want Allie, Maddie, and Shannon to come with me for some drag bunting. Lianna, Clara, and Heidi are going to hit into the net with Coach Neil. You guys got it? Alright. Grab your bats."

...time skip...

I didn't get it. Madeline was good at everything she did. I saw Allie eyeing me the whole time. I know I am a lefty batter, but I didn't get the drag bunting. Madeline had the Dmarini CF-8. That was definitely a clue to her being a wolf. When Coach Rick went to talk to Neil, I always crept up behind Madeline to get her weakness, but Allie caught me and her eyes flashed red. Mine flashed red back. 'Don't you even think about it, Shannon.' She said telepathically. 'Maddie here told me everything about your encounter in Bourne. Don't even.' 'Since when did you be her body guard?' I asked. 'Since I was first on this team.' Allie said. 'So leave us alone unless you have something to say.' 'You disgust me.' I said. 'Don't we all?' Allie said sarcastically. 'And she's the best catcher in the state. We need her. Everyone does.' The connection broke.

I just realized that Allie was a vampire. Had I known, then nothing would be like this. The team pretty much hates me. No one knows how I know. I can read their minds, well, if it's about me. And if I even can read their mind. I haven't read Madeline's yet. Well, I couldn't. Coach Rick came back and soon, I saw Madeline showing off with her perfect drag bunts. She's still not as good as Kelli on the Maine Coast Riptide.

Soon, the practice ended. I didn't drive. I ran. I teleported my gear to my Massachusetts home. 'I'll get you, Madeline Kilpeck.' I thought. 'I will see if Annabelle is right about you. If so, I will help her get rid of the singing wolf kind forever. Mark my words Kilpeck.' I ran home in a blur when no one was watching.