Chapter 9 - Madi and Maddie

Madeline's POV
______________

It was a day since I got the notice. I have been exercising my voice for a straight day. I'm surprised my voice isn't tired. I walked to the piano in my room and looked through the songs I'd be playing and the songs I'd sing to a recording. The ones I'm playing to are two original songs and five covers. The originals included "Accept Me," and "A Thousand Times." They were the only ones I liked. Then there were seven covers from recording. Four were solos and three were duets. They let me do a minimum of three duets. Thank god. I just hope this works with the teleporting with my new friends.

I went on my karaoke app to find some instrumentals. I choose three for the duets. With Madi, I chose "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors. We could collaborate with our harmonies that I came up with earlier in the year. Mostly in the chorus and some in the verse. We could sing individually with the two parts in the song.

With Rachel, I chose "Fight Song" by Rachael Platten. She loves to do harmony so, I will show her a recording that I joined a while ago. And I could add my own harmonies too.

Finally with Jason, I chose "One Call Away" by Charlie Puth. I would take part one and we would collaborate on harmonies and stage presence. I listened to a few collabs I joined with this song and I got an idea.

I texted Madi.

...

Madeline: Hey. You excited for tomorrow?

...

Madi: Yea. I'm so excited to finally meet you in person.

...

Madeline: wanna know the song we are singing?

...

Madi: I wanna know. What song?

...

Madeline: "Unsteady" by X Ambassadors.

...

Madi: I frikkin love that song.

...

Madeline: I also have awesome harmonies planned. You're gonna love it. You're gonna sing melody in the second and third chorus.

...

Madi: But isn't that gonna trigger your transformation?

...

Madeline: I have the tuning fork necklace handy.

...

Madi: Awesome. I can't wait. Will your voice trigger my transformation?

...

Madeline: No. Only mine. Don't worry.

...

Madi: Ok good. I was just a bit worried. Shannon's previous team will be there.

...

Madeline: You know she thinks she's doing all the work.

...

Madi: That's messed up. Well, that's how she was when we were on my town team.

...

Madeline: Penobscot, right?

...

Madi: yea.

...

Madeline: I've been there many times before. I've been to Castine where my grandfather lives. I go to the Chris K 5k in Penobscot.

...

Madi: Omg. I run in that race too. You and I were there I'm the same place. Wait, you're Christine Kilpeck's granddaughter.

...

Madeline: yup. That's true.

...

Madi: That's why you looked so familiar. Didn't you have brown hair and bangs in 2013?

...

Madeline: Yup.

...

Madi: I can't believe we saw each other before this. Wow!

...

Madeline: Alright. Gtg. Gotta start practicing my originals.

...

Madi: Alright. See you tomorrow. Lilly is gonna teleport me over tomorrow.

...

Madeline: Alright. Bye. XD

...

I put my phone away and continued to work on my originals. I went back to my piano. I took out my first song, "Accept Me." It was in the chord of F. I used a way different chord progression than I usually did. People would know it was about me screaming at someone for not caring about an injury. The event is long gone now and we are friends. He has heard the song and liked it surprisingly. He encouraged me to sing it over text. I agreed. Well, that was a while ago. I played the chords. Soon, I started singing. It was great, but I kept my music in front of me as I played and sang. I finished strong.

I then got a text from Madi.

...

Madi: Hey. Lilly is gonna teleport me over tonight. Is it fine if I spend the night over tonight and we could start rehearsal tomorrow?

...

Madeline: That's a great idea. I'll check if you can for tonight.

...

Five minutes later

...

Madeline: it's fine with my parents. They're looking forward to meeting you.

...

Madi: Awesome. I'm just finishing packing. I'll let you know when Lilly is gonna teleport me.

...

Madeline: alright. I'll be in my room at the piano if you need me.

...

I put my phone down and continued with my other original "A thousand times" and put the music and lyrics on the music stand on the piano. Soon, hours passed and I was just laying there on the piano. I was trying to get the instrumental right for the past three hours. "Just take a break." My mother said. "Madi is gonna be here any second. And you'll have weeks before the ceremony." "I'd listen to her if I were you." A familiar voice said. I turned around and in my room stood two girls. My eyes widened. It was Lilly and Madi. "Oh my god, hey!" I screamed. We met in a hug. "It's so nice to finally see you two in person." I added. "Same with us." Lilly said. "I'm so excited to hear you guys at the ceremony. Bye guys. See you in a couple weeks, Madeline." Lilly hugged Madi and then me before disappearing into thin air.

"That's amazing." I said. "Yea, she can be a show off sometimes." Madi said. "It's what she does. So, you are gonna take a break tonight. Lilly and I saw you passed out on the piano. Your mother told me how determined you were. You know you have plenty of time. And I'll help you as well." "Thanks Madi." I said. "Wait, what time is it?" "It's 10:00." Madi said. "You look so tired. Let's just sleep or you're not gonna want to sing tomorrow." I laughed. "Good call." I said as I climbed into bed. Madi got in next to me. "I feel like we are already gonna be sisters." She said. "Goodnight." "Night, kid." I said. Soon, I drifted off to sleep.