Chapter 29 - Back to business

Madi's POV
_________

There was one more song for Madeline left to sing. She actually never old us her order of songs except for the duets. "She is so good at this." Lilly said. "Agreed." I said. "Well, she is a singing wolf. And I'm surprised that she is not singing her transformation song." "She's smart to do that." she said. "She knows what she's doing." Then, Madeline walked back up on the stage. We cheered. "Alright, this was so much fun singing for you guys." she said. "I have one more song for you guys and then I will be in the tournament with all of you. I am on the Lady Sting of Massachusetts. So, anyways, this last song I dedicated to all of my close friends who stood by me and I would like to return the favor. This song is Brighter by Against the Current." We cheered as she walked to the piano. 

(Just listen to the First song. That's me.)

The music started and she played the intro of the song. However, it was in a higher note. 'oh god.' I thought. 'This might be her new transformation song.' 'What do you mean by that?' Lilly asked me through telepathy. 'This is higher than the original.' I thought. She shot me a worried look and we continued to listen to the song. She went into the bridge of the song. "🎵Can't stand by and wait like the others. I'm front line I won't run for cover. Head held high, cause I'm burning brighter. I'm burning brighter. Can't stand by and wait like the others. I'm front line I won't run for cover. Head held high, cause I'm burning brighter.🎵" She then went into the chorus.

"🎵I want something more. A life worth fighting for. I don't need a reason to set the world on fire and burn a little bit brighter now.🎵" However, she went higher than the original and made it her own. That's when I saw her eyes change to yellow. "🎵There's something beautiful hiding in my shadow, so set the world on fire. Let's burn a littl bit brighter now. A little bit brighter now.🎵" She then did the same thing in the last chorus. She reached the note perfectly. Soon, everything calmed down and the song ended. We cheered as she  got up from the piano bench. However, as soon as she got off the stage, she collapsed on the ground.

....

Allie's POV
__________

I ran over to the collapsed Madeline and took off the microphone headset. Everyone was swarmed around her. "Alright, give us some space." Madi called to them. Jason rushed over behind Lilly, Madi, and Brian. "What happened?" Jason asked. I started a connection in my mind. 'She passed out after singing that song.' I said telepathically. 'Huh.' Jason said. 'But that's usually after her transformation song if she accidentally sings it.' 'Wait.' Madi thought. 'She told me they can change if they go in a higher register than the last one.' 'This isn't good.' Lilly said. 'We got to take her out of here.' 'I got it.' Jason said.

The connection cut short as Jason picked up Madeline and attempted to weave through the crowd. The girls screamed, but I shot them a look and they instantly shut up. 'Thank you.' I thought as I followed the group out of the auditorium. I kept running until we ran into Coach Neil. "What's going on?" he asked. "I saw her collapse, so I ran to get Sherry. What Happened?" "Yea, it's a long story." I said. "Did she sing her transformation song when she wasn't supposed to?" He asked. "Well, we think she has a new one." Madi said. 

"So, I'm guessing this is Madeline's twin?" Coach Neil asked. "Yes." I said. "And stop getting off the subject. Is there any place where we can hide her?" "From whom?" he asked. "Let's see... Annabelle." His expression changed. "There is a closet you guys can hide in until she comes to her senses again." he said.

Jason held onto Madeline as we followed him to a closet that was basically empty and he laid her down. "Give her some space." Jason said. "You never know what could happen since this is new to all of us."

....

Jason's POV
____________

I kept a fair distance from Madeline as the others were about to swarm over. However, I noticed a slight movement. Her nose twitched. It was followed by the sound of bones breaking. There she was, turned away from us and curling up into a ball. I saw a yellow glow emit from her face. "Stay back." Someone said. "Okay, what's going on?" Lilly asked. Then I realized it was Madeline's voice.

"I said, stay back!" She said through gritted teeth. "I don't want to hurt anyone." "Maddie, it's okay." Allie said. "Just take your time. Don't worry about hurting us." She slowly sat up. We saw her wolf ears sitting on top of her head. She turned around. "Sorry guys." She said through the canines. "I have to get used to speaking again."

"You good?" Madi asked. "Yea." Madeline said. "But I feel like I have a new transformation song. I got to be careful." "And I feel like I have your old song for me." Madi said. "Is this normal?" I asked. "Yeah." Madeline said. "Oh and I heard that Annabelle was hunting another clan of wolves. Which one is she talking about?" "The Dyan clan." I said. "They're also rare and there is one left in the clan, but we don't know who or where they are."

....

Madeline's POV
_____________

I sat up, still in my hybrid form. I was just coming back to my senses. "We got to get back to business." I said. "Shannon and Annabelle have come prepared. I saw a couple girls with them. And in between songs, I sorta heard what they were saying. I couldn't make much of it out because of the screaming and clapping... and mostly the sensitivity of the microphone."

"Yea, I heard that they have found the last Dyan wolf in this state." Madi said. I looked to my left and saw Jason's face grow pale and eyes flicker red. "You okay?" I asked. He shook his head and everything went back to normal. "Yeah, I'm good." he said. I looked around at the others. They had puzzled expressions. I couldn't hear a connection. I usually would when he was like this. Not at this moment. I had a feeling he was hiding something. I swear to God, I feel like he might be hiding something.

Just then, I heard the door creek open. "Maddie, turn back quick." I nodded and transformed back into my human form. Next thing I knew, I saw a foot stop the door from closing. In walked a tall boy with black hair, brown eyes,  and tan skin. "Maddie?" he said. "Zach?!" I replied.