Chapter 35: Take A Bow

(Take A Bow is by Rihanna)

Erin’s POV          

                “Allen,” I groaned looking over to him. He was still out cold on the side next to the alarm clock. He grunted and slammed his hand up and down until the buzzing went silent. He continued to make his pained morning noises as he rolled over to face me. “Thanks for letting me crash here,” I offered.

                “I’m sorry that you have to,” he countered. Harry was pounding on my door the night before and frankly I just didn’t want to be alone. I found comfort in company. When you’re alone with yourself, sometimes it’s hard to escape your own mind. When I’m unaccompanied I find myself trapped inside, letting my demons eat me alive. Allen, like any true friend, gets that and he knows how to put them to rest, put me to rest.

                I contemplated not saying anything, but knew that I had to. “I’m going back to school early,” my voice shook as I said it.

                “How early,” I could tell he was hurt. He was planning on having more time together this summer. I felt selfish, but at the same time I felt that I needed to be that a little more.

                “Tonight,” I’m sure he could detect the uneasiness in my voice.

                “You don’t have to. Stay,” he pleaded resting his hand on my shoulder.

                “I really do. Have to,” I clarified after grabbing his hand and placing it back on the sheets so I could get up to leave.

                “I don’t want to lose the Erin I grew up with. Please don’t let what he did change you,” I paused before opening the door. What he said hit me deep in the gut. Tears started streaming down my face.

                “It might be too late,” I rested my forehead on his door.

                “You’ll find her again, you always do,” he was clearly uncomfortable as he rubbed my hyperventilating back.

                “She might be dead,” I clarified. “Um, I promise not to leave without saying goodbye, but I have to go pack.” I wiped at my eyes furiously.

                “I love you,” he sounded more defeated than me at this point.

                “I love you too,” I tried to pull myself together enough to transfer to my room and hide out. The second I opened my door, the camera men creeping in the halls snapped to attention. I kept my head down as the two men I did not recognize tried to ask me about Allen and the guys from earlier in the summer clearly felt guilty.

                Once I was in my room I dug my luggage out of the closet and started dropping my entire wardrobe into it. I never really folded it nicely and was not about to start now. When a shirt was having a hard time fitting I wadded it up and shoved harder. Like always I eventually got it to close. I had both hands on my poster getting ready to tear it down when I heard a commotion outside of my door.

                I looked to the peephole. Harry had just slammed his door and was walking over to the group of men. He looked very flustered as his tone stated to match, “Let me give you a hint. She is never going to leave that room. Not for you, not for me, not for anyone. She is going to talk to who she wants when she wants, so might as well go get some lunch.” He put his hand on one of the cameras to tilt it down and gestured for them to leave.