Chapter 22: She's More

(She's More is by Andy Griggs)

Erin's POV :

              I heard a faint knock coming from my hotel door.

            “Sorry, I’ll be ready soon Allen,” I yelled as I finished touching up my makeup. I still had to come up with something to do with my hair, but he was earlier then I expected. To be honest I thought I’d be the one dragging him out of his room just to get him there, so I figured he wouldn’t mind waiting.

             I whipped open the door, “Someone’s excited for Greta’s…” but it was Robert’s eyes staring back at me. “Robert, what are you doing here,” I let the question quietly slip out.

           “Shhh,” he placed his finger over his lips and then pointed to Allen’s side showing me he didn’t want any extra company. I was confused, he had that weird look in his eyes again that he was giving me at the store, and for some reason I really liked that look. I stepped back so he could slip past me, and then shut my door as quietly as possible. I looked at him eagerly waiting to hear what he was up to. “You look beautiful,” he said nervously.

              “Yeah, besides this mess,” I pointed to my hair. I was never good at accepting compliments.

              “No, it’s perfect. I love it when hair is down,” he assured me. It didn’t take him long to realize what he just admitted. “I mean,” he started uneasily, “that’s kind of why I came. I brought you this,” he revealed a small box he was hiding behind his back. It had a pink pig bow around it. He remembered.

            “Another gift, I told you I didn’t need anything else,” I said feeling even worse about him wasting his money on me. I opened it, and almost cried.

            “It’s a replica of the head piece Daisy wore in the new Great Gatsby movie. I thought you might like it, because Greta may not know about your idea but I think it's great,” he took it from my hands. Then he placed it on my head focusing really hard as his hands shook. My heart started racing, I didn’t like what his touch could do to me. “If you can’t make it come true, then at least you can pretend,” he turned me around to face the mirror. It felt like I was in a dream, and I was just waiting for everything to fade away. I touched it just to prove it was real then I noticed the water welling in the bottom of my eyelid. I couldn’t ruin my makeup. It already took me forever to make it look descent, there was no way I was replicating this.

          I tried to distract myself thinking of something to say, but all I could do was stare at him questioningly in the mirror. Why was he being so nice to me? What did he want? “How do you know exactly what I’m thinking,” I finally asked turning around to look into his real eyes.

                 “I don’t; it just always seems to work out,” he admitted with a smirk.

                 “Then the universe must like me all of a sudden,” I joked still sure this couldn’t possibly be real.

                 “I think it swings in everyone’s favor once and a while,” he said reflecting on something. “But if I don’t want the wrath of Allen coming down on me, I better get going before he finds out.”

                 “Run, Bobert, Run,” I whispered not sure if he was listening or not, but he looked back to smile at me right before he snuck out.